My last brew way too sweet and malty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebrewin

Reaction score
Do I need to lay off the malt addition to my coopers kit of is my fg to high causing that sweet ****ty flavor?
OG 1040 FG 1012
Left in primary for 3 weeks then kegged and carbed for a week and a bit!
Coopers kit yeast was used and I reckon that's the issue I reckon it may have slowed up to early leaving me with a high gravity sweet beer???

1.012 would generally be considered not overly sweet.

Post the recipe, maybe there is something else going on with it.

Things for the future:
Use a extra light Extract.
No/ lower crystal steeping grains
Increase fermentation temps for more attenuation

AT-JeffT said:
1.012 would generally be considered not overly sweet.

Post the recipe, maybe there is something else going on with it.

Things for the future:
Use a extra light Extract.
No/ lower crystal steeping grains
Increase fermentation temps for more attenuation

Recipie

image-272516431.jpg

image-781036441.jpg

2 tins of Thomas coopers selection bitter
2kg of the above brewcraft malt plus booster
Coopers kit yeast as I had no other at the time
45l batch
Fermented for 3weeks in primary at around 16degC
Dry hopped with 25grams of fuggles hops in the keg
Carbed at 35psi for 3days then dropped pressure back!
Beautiful looking beer just tastes way too sweet

image-3304534017.jpg

That's not a bad attenuation. I'd probably just up the bittering addition on your hops a bit to balance out the malts.

aiptasia said:
That's not a bad attenuation. I'd probably just up the bittering addition on your hops a bit to balance out the malts.

Probably have to make a hop tea or something then as its an extract kit...

It's the malt booster. Anything that says it is made up of "brewing sugars" that will make the beer taste richer and fuller will make the beer sweeter (in my estimation). The booster is adding non-fermentable sugars. These remain as sugars in the finished beer, leading to a sweeter flavor.

Are you sure the F.G. is actually 1.012? It looks like in the picture you posted you are taking a gravity reading of a fully carbonated beer. All that co2 in solution is sure to effect your readings

It's the malt booster. Anything that says it is made up of "brewing sugars" that will make the beer taste richer and fuller will make the beer sweeter (in my estimation). The booster is adding non-fermentable sugars. These remain as sugars in the finished beer, leading to a sweeter flavor.

I disagree.

Glucose is a monosaccharide and fermentable. corn syrup is also fermentable. My guess is the mash is run at higher temps resulting long chain, unfermentables. Basically its in the extract process, not the adjuncts.

DAlexander said:
I disagree.

Glucose is a monosaccharide and fermentable. corn syrup is also fermentable. My guess is the mash is run at higher temps resulting long chain, unfermentables. Basically its in the extract process, not the adjuncts.

Fully fermentables sugars don't add malt richness as this booster say it will. To the contrary, fully fermentables sugar will thin out the beer. Thus, the malt booster that says it adds richness is telling you it is adding nonfermentable sugars.

Fully fermentables sugars don't add malt richness as this booster say it will. To the contrary, fully fermentables sugar will thin out the beer. Thus, the malt booster that says it adds richness is telling you it is adding nonfermentable sugars.

Right, but going off of the ingredients list (should be trustable) it says it contains malt extract, corn syrup, and glucose. I believe that is listed beginning with largest percentage, by weight. So I was just stating that the extra sweetness and higher gravity should not be pertaining to the cornsyrup and glucose, but the higher mash temps of the extract. The booster is responsible in whole though.

DAlexander said:
Right, but going off of the ingredients list (should be trustable) it says it contains malt extract, corn syrup, and glucose. I believe that is listed beginning with largest percentage, by weight. So I was just stating that the extra sweetness and higher gravity should not be pertaining to the cornsyrup and glucose, but the higher mash temps of the extract. The booster is responsible in whole though.

I have no control over mash temps so I guess I will just steer clear of the kit in question!

Or just try it with straight dextrose as it is fully fermentable???

downwardzspiral said:
Are you sure the F.G. is actually 1.012? It looks like in the picture you posted you are taking a gravity reading of a fully carbonated beer. All that co2 in solution is sure to effect your readings

Nah didn't take that as my sg reading mate was just playing round when I took the pic!

What was the bittering hop addition? I didn't see any hops in the recipe, which would mean 0 IBUs to balance the sweetness. Perhaps I'm missing something here...

Cheers!

Jipper said:
What was the bittering hop addition? I didn't see any hops in the recipe, which would mean 0 IBUs to balance the sweetness. Perhaps I'm missing something here...

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure that coopers kits are prehopped. Of course, when you up the gravity, you generally should add more hops to balance it.

Jipper said:

Cheers!

Have you read the thread or what mate? Clearly states that its a kit brother! No Controll over hop additions to the boil as its an extract kit!!!!!

lovebrewin said:
Have you read the thread or what mate? Clearly states that its a kit brother! No Controll over hop additions to the boil as its an extract kit!!!!!

The fact that it's a kit does not mean you don't control hops. Many kinds of extract don't have hops added and the kits include fresh hops to add. Coopers kits are different, which is why I pointed that out.

rklinck said:
The fact that it's a kit does not mean you don't control hops. Many kinds of extract don't have hops added and the kits include fresh hops to add. Coopers kits are different, which is why I pointed that out.

Sorry about that rant mate I stand corrected. So what do you guys suggest is the best way to go about a buttering hop addition?

I've never brewed with Coopers kits, so I don't know how bitter they are to start. To add bitterness from hops, you will need to boil them for at least 30 minutes. I would start out cautiously to avoid adding too much bitterness.

I just bittered a beer post production. Discussed here. I found that 16 of 32 oz hop tea (half of the total volume) made by boiling 0.5 oz magnum pellets for one hour then filtering, provided a nice bitterness to 5 gal of underbittered kolsch.

So I got 500ml of water and 25g of fuggles hops as this is all I had on hand. Boiled it for 30mins and added to keg! This morning I did that and I just tasted it and the sickening sweetness is gone its got a great bitter flavor. It's just very cloudy..
Will it settle out?

Didn't filter it.. Novice mistake... Used pellets. And I'm guessing it's not really bad for you it's just it looks cloudy, tastes great though!! It was clear beforehand but it will be right I think!

Back