My lagering plan, is it ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
I have read several posts and its mostly all the same, but I just want to be "sure" my plan will create a decent lager....

1. Using saflager I will ferment at 53 degrees F (According to their website).

2. Once fermentation slows to around 1 bubble a minute, I will bring it up to room temp 68-70F for 3 days to give a diacytle rest.

3. After this I will rack to secondary and bring it down to 53 degrees again until fermentation completely stops (another 3-4 days I suppose?)

4. Finally, store it at 30-32 degrees for a 1.5 months.

The part I have question on is step 3, can this step be eliminated completely since its still technically fermenting during the rest? Can I simply rack to secondary for the diacytl rest, give it 3 days, then rack to the keg and store at 32 degrees?

Your help is appreciated.

In terms of the diacetyl rest, I pull mine out when the SG is ~1020 or so which means there's enough fermentation left to take care of the diacetyl. Your method will probably work, but it really depends on how active your fermentation is.

If you leave at the diacetyl rest until fermentation is complete then step 3 is somewhat unnecessary. What you need to do is lower the temperature a degree or two a day after the diacetyl rest until you hit your lagering temp. This way you don't freak your yeast out and they will continue to work on some off-flavors (albeit really slowly) while lagering.

Back