My Kegerator...she dies. :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Yep...it's dead.

I tore out the ceiling and pulled out the insulation so I could fit in the kegs. Never got around to re-insulating. Never got around to patching closed the hole.

Today I poured a warm beer. The fan was on, the compressor was running. Must be out of freon. I left it in a hot garage and made it work overtime. What's cheaper: re-charge, or 4912?

I feel your pain cheese... Mine is having death rattles. Cannot get it below about 60 anymore. Everything has been spotlessly cleaned. Guess it is time for the big chest freezer. *plays taps* She was a good friend. RIP

You can't even get freon re-charged, can you?

Dumb question, but it sounds like you're combining a kegerator without insulation and with a big hole in it with a hot garage... you sure it's dead?

the_bird said:
You can't even get freon re-charged, can you?

Dumb question, but it sounds like you're combining a kegerator without insulation and with a big hole in it with a hot garage... you sure it's dead?

You can get cars and condensors re-charged so i imagine you could find someone to recharge a refrigerator. Probably you could call a appliance repair shop and it would be cheaper than a brand new refrigerator. Unless you want to upgrade or something.

If the unit is in fact out of refrigerant (freon is just a brand name for refrigerants produced by Dupont) then it has a leak and can't just be recharged. If the leak is in a refrigerant line embedded in the insulation then it would be next to impossible to repair.

If the leak is elsewhere, a licensed technician must install a piercing valve, because most refrigerators that I have seen do not have access fittings installed at the factory. The remaining refrigerant vapor must be recovered, repairs made, permenant access fittings must be brazed in, pressurized with nitrogen and leak checked, evacuated into a deep vacuum and recharged with a carefully weighed in amount of the proper refrigerant as stated on the unit nameplate.

The job described above will take several hours to perform correctly, and at the $75/hr rate that most service shops charge (not including parts) the costs can quickly exceed the cost of a new fridge.

Werd to what john said. Time to buy a new fridge. Unless your a tech, its not worth repairing.....even then it may not be worth repairing.

Yea my 3 keg perlick went out a couple months back. It was my compressor though and a new compressor was 75$. the labor to install it was like $350. I've had it serviced and filled with freon back when i had a leak. To patch the leak and fill it it was like $175 so if your unit was expensive it might be worth looking into getting a quote.

I suspect mine will kick soon. I picked it up at a used appliance place seven years ago and the lower door hinge has rusted out. I'm trying to come up with something not too complicated that will keep the conditioning cabinet cool as well.

Putting the time and effort into a used one, including the search, made me want to just start new, because I had no faith in how long a used was going to last.

Hell, I have no faith in how long a NEW will last...:(

This is half the reason I just bit the bullet and dropped $400 for a brand new fridge from the Depot (the other, more important half, was not having the wrestle the damn thing down the basement stairs myself).

Back