My keezer keeps freezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveg297

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 7 cu. ft. keezer with a dual temperature regulator and it keeps freezing the kegs and bottles when I set the keggerator to lagering temps (38 degrees F). Does anyone have any suggestions? I typically have a pint mason jar with a thermowell and a brewbelt wrapped around it to try and moderate the temperature swings.

Any suggestions?

SteveG

If you have a heater on your mason jar that contains your probe, that's the issue. You don't need a heater on it!

So, this is a fermentation chamber, if I don't have a heater, how do you maintain the correct temperature? The temperature controller is a dual, one for heat and one for cool. If the cool is the only thing plugged in then how do you heat up to maintain temp?

Thanks,

SteveG

Do you have the heater around the fermenter or the jar containing the probe?

So, this is a fermentation chamber, if I don't have a heater, how do you maintain the correct temperature? The temperature controller is a dual, one for heat and one for cool. If the cool is the only thing plugged in then how do you heat up to maintain temp?

Thanks,

SteveG

My setup for a ferm chamber is to only have the freezer and no heating stuff plugged in. Right now I am holding a beer around 55f .. I say around because I set the temp I want to 56f, the controller has a tolerance of about 1f so it starts cooling as soon as it hits 57f ...the temp drops, the freezer kicks off at 55f and then drifts down to about 53f and then slowly drifts up over the next 36-48 hours or so. It isn't swingingy wildly enough to have me thinking about adding a heating element, in fact .. the thought is downright unappealing ..

Edit: I should note I've had a few beers go through this level of 'not so precise' temperature control and they've all turned out fantastic.

Do you have a fan in your chamber? I have a heater in my chamber, one made from a paint can and a 45 watt light bulb. You need the fan to keep the temp even from top to bottom. Hope this helps, good luck

The heater is around the jar containing the probe. I don’t have a fan, just a heat belt.

the heater should NOT be around the jar containing the probe. It should be around one of your keg, or better yet, put it on the side or the top lid/door of the keggerator.

What's happening is your heater kicks int warms up the small amount of water in the jar very quickly, then cooling cycle kicks in and freezes your kegs while your mason jar is still warm.

air exchange will also help making sure the temperature is equilibrated. Also make sure your sensor jar is at the bottom of the keggerator, not at the top.

Back