My Keezer is dying what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I picked up my chest freezer for $50 about 7 years ago and proceeded to dump another $1000 to get 9 kegs inside with 8 taps. I joked that I have so much into it it would make sense to replace the compressor if it were to die. Now that this seems to be happening I have to realistically weigh my options.

I removed all kegs to do an annual cleaning and it took a few days to get back down to 45 degrees, then it seemed to run constantly to keep it there. Now it can't even do that.

Is there any home brew repairs that can be made?

Is it worth getting a fridge technician here to make repairs?

Or time to by an 20' upright freezer and start over?

First off, if there are exposed coils try cleaning them.

After that id get another 50-100$ fridge off of craigslist and just transfer the 1000 of hardware to the new chest freezer.

No sense buying a new anchor for a sinking ship. If you truly have that much into the keezer, wouldn't it make sense to find a brand new freezer the same size as the old one and swap the hardware in?

Some of the money on the keezer is a lot of hardwood, stains, custom glass racks, glasses, drip trays, etc all custom fitted to fit this Freezer. Unless the next $50 freezer is the exact same model or the brand new one I buy is the exact same dimensions. I have probably $100 in wood and 3+ days in labor to recreate a replacement, which I am not looking forward to it.

That is why I am considering going with a standing freezer. I have seen builds that hold 11 corneys. I'd like to turn my keezer up to 11.

keezer-35-41138.jpg

If I could find someone that could repair this for the cost of a new freezer with the probability it would last for years I would do it.

Does not address your desire for an upright, but mine died one Sunday AM and I went to sears and bought the exact same size for $400.00. Went home and switched lid and wood to new one. Down time 2-3 hours.

Some of the money on the keezer is a lot of hardwood, stains, custom glass racks, glasses, drip trays, etc all custom fitted to fit this Freezer. Unless the next $50 freezer is the exact same model or the brand new one I buy is the exact same dimensions. I have probably $100 in wood and 3+ days in labor to recreate a replacement, which I am not looking forward to it.

That is why I am considering going with a standing freezer. I have seen builds that hold 11 corneys. I'd like to turn my keezer up to 11.

keezer-35-41138.jpg

If I could find someone that could repair this for the cost of a new freezer with the probability it would last for years I would do it.

Only thing I see there that would need modified or replaced is the collar.

Could be something as simple as the cooling gas leaking somewhere or as complex as the compressor seals breaking down. Depending on the service charges by a fridge technician, it may be worth getting the gas pressure checked out, but a leaking compressor is normally a death sentence price-wise.

New Freezers either upright or chest in the capacity i want are around $500. My current keezer is 46" across and I see one that is 50" across. So it would involve a new collar and new insulation for the collar, between getting the wood, making the collar, sanding, staining and coats of polyurethane at least a day or more of work. The glass racks won't be a perfect fit.

I decided to pay someone to come out and look at it. For $89 I can find out if it is a capacitor or gas leak or even if a compressor will be $200 which is what a used freezer that is not too old will cost me.

If it is too much or not recommended I will start over with a new freezer. Not sure if I will go upright or not. This chest freezer is now decorated as I like and not sure where to put the new decorations if I go upright.

Mine died n a similar manner. Turns out some of the coils on the inside are steel, and eventually rusted out. Probably not an issue when kept at freezing temps, but the added condensation/moisture of the kegerator accelerates the deterioration of the coils.

Back