My keezer build finally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snccoulter

Reaction score
Post 29 has the completed pics.

Well I am finally in a position to be working on my keezer. I spent a few weeks with a bunch of old pallets in front of my house. Once it was dry enough outside, I started to take them apart much to my wife's relief. Then I had to wait for the wood to dry out. I do live in North West Washington In that time period I bought a Harbor Freight plainer. Last week an got to work. I forgot to get pics of what the wood looked like but if you have ever seen old pallets you know what it look like.

Yesterday I got the 2x4s and my pops and I got busy. Here is today's progress.

20140403_093706.jpg

20140403_093652.jpg

20140403_143820.jpg

20140403_143806.jpg

20140403_143814.jpg

That is going to look great. Keep posting the pics.

Sent from my iPad mini using Home Brew

I could not get in the last post.
My next stop is to take my kids to see Mr Peabody Friday and hopefully I will be able to move forward Saturday.

20140403_143800.jpg

I've seen some nasty looking pallets. Even if they were in good shape, it looks like you did a fantastic job with the planer.

I ended up going to the local hardware store to get some oak to do the tower, I almost fell over. The local hardware store wanted almost $60 for a 1x12x6 I am amazed they stay in business. I ended up in town later today and got 1, 1x12x4 and 1, 1x8x8 and some molding and the hinges for $70 at Lowes. I really do like buying local but not for that price... My next step is to pick up some 3/4 plywood or OSB fit the top bolt it down secure the fiberboard and make it perty. It is to bad that classes start again for me in the morning I will be tied up with Networking, Virtualization, and Ceramics (I needed 3 more credits) classes for the next 10 weeks. If it is anything like Security, Linux, and Hardware I will be at my desk studying for the next 10 weeks. I guess it is all priorities right? Feed the family before you make/server the beer. In the middle of typing this I save myself $200 by dissembling the front loading washing machine for my wife repairing the door lock switch and reassembling, she can now wash my dirty cloths. It is all microprocessors and circuit boards these days. Cheers Off to bed and ready for the fun to begin.

I was able to make some headway today. I got up and took my oldest to his Lacrosse game (3rd and 4th Grade) where they did win 10 to 6. Go North County Cavaliers. My oldest was the goalie for the first half and only gave up 2 goals. He did take a good shot to the inner thigh, I thought he was done but up he got and ended up getting recognized by the other team's captain and coach. He got his first sticker it does not seem like much but a sticker on the helmet is the big thing at the end of the game. The opposite team picks someone who they feel honored the game (A tradition from the inception of the game). On with the day. I got back and started to work, my father spent the day holding lumber and answering if it looks good to you it looks good to me. All in all it was a good day. The pics of the Keezer are on the following post

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_4317.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

Keezer pics It is a good thing they make molding because I did screw up on a cut. Oh well It will be hidden and no one will be the wiser.

20140416_172448.jpg

20140419_171035.jpg

20140419_180025.jpg

20140419_180221.jpg

20140416_172451.jpg

Looking good, just a word of advice since you have a planer. Ask around see if you can find a raw wood supplier. I have a cabinet buddy that showed me a hefty amount of oak wood in his truck that surprised me how much he spent. Since its raw you would have to plane it down, but it looks like you have that covered.

I do like the detailed photos, I am in the design process of a keezer now, and this helps a lot.

Got busy this morning and did a lot It may not look like it but it took all day. Lessons learned today: I am not good a cutting 45 degree angles and getting everything to line up, when mounting the tower make sure that the back of the freezer is not below the tower, if so you may just cut into it, and finally pay attention to what board you are piking up or you may just cut the wrong board and have to use a 12 inch by 8 footer you were planing on returning...

20140420_151148.jpg

20140420_151153.jpg

20140420_152631.jpg

20140420_152614.jpg

Had to re-do the trim on the top today. I then cut up some trim piece for the tower and and then I got started on some tile. Apparently I am not capable of cutting a straight line anywhere. Instead of a bunch of simple cuts it has now turned into a bunch of cuts to make it look right as apposed to actually being right. Lessons learned today using recycled materials is not as simple as I though, and when you a cut and test it DO NOT pickup the same piece and re-cut it.

20140423_165522.jpg

20140423_171628.jpg

I got the backsplash tiled ready to be grouted tomorrow. I also got the large tiles set. I will get all the little ones set after the tower is set back into place hopefully after my boy's lacrosse game tomorrow. I also got the lacquer on the all sides of the skin and the tower once everything is grouted. I do not want to do the wood on the top until I have all the tile finished. My thermometer came in along with my fans a couple short shanks, and my power supply for some LED strip lights. I thought I had put the LED lights in the cart but apparently I had forgot. Oh well I have the power supply so I can prewire everything while I wait for payday… Here are today's pics…

20140425_130308_1.jpg

20140425_130258 (1).jpg

20140425_155933 (1).jpg

20140425_162124.jpg

20140425_162517.jpg

I got a lot done today. It looks like I am finally into the home stretch. I got the tile done and I got it grouted. I now need to do a little sanding where the grout got on the lacquer and discolored it. Tomorrow I should be picking up some red and black wire, heat shrink and finalizing the wiring. I did poke a hole in the side of the freezer for my hoses, I was very careful started with a box cutter and as soon as I could I started cutting the tin with a pair of dykes. I then used a small screwdriver to slowly pick out the insulation. If I can find some sort of bulkhead I will use it if not I will just run the gas hoses through the hole. I will also be attaching a chain and rigging up some sort of high tech dowel to hold the top open. Once I have it where I want it I will attach the rest of the hoses be ready to try it out. The last pic has my oldest in it. He wants to take credit for the whole thing. I guess I will be picking up some kid projects for him at Homedepo apparently he has the building bug just after I have lost the bug but am pushing through to finish in good form. I guess I will stay motivated for his sake...

20140426_183601.jpg

20140426_183628.jpg

20140426_183638.jpg

I got the fans wired, the thermostat installed,and the insulation done. No I do not have the Johnson Controller plugged in yet. I also got a bit of sanding done This week I will be working on the door for the back and deciding if I really want to build a set of doors on the front. I am also not happy with how close the taps are to the top of the tower so I may cut a radius out of the top of the tower to allow for larger tap handles. What do you think? I cant remember if I can get 3 kegs or 4 in the freezer if it is 4 I probably will do a keg of homemade root beer or ginger ale for the kids. Placing the tap on the side of the tower. That way there is no confusion as to if it is beer/root beer.

20140427_161940.jpg

20140427_161950.jpg

The last bit is finally coming together. I got the Johnson Controller set and built a small bracket to mount it. The controller is dead on with my thermometer. I have decided I will cut a bit out of the top of the tower so I can get a few respectable tap handles installed. I got the back door to the tower built and installed. I will be ordering my lights, extra gas line, and figuring out how to build a pass-through/bulkhead for the wall of the freezer this weekend. The inside of the freezer is not all that pretty but will suffice for now until I figure out how I want to finish it off. I now have to get busy brewing.

20140430_170839.jpg

20140430_170831.jpg

20140430_135812.jpg

20140428_075853.jpg

20140428_075840.jpg

I went and got my hose for the gas and liquid. The guy that runs the LHBS does not particularly like the military. He has had solders are baby killers and that junk in his store and I hate going there but I needed the line and I would have paid the same price + shipping if I had ordered it so I bit my tong and walked in. As he was ringing up the bill I had to do it. I asked if he had a military discount. You should have see it not displeasure but anger shot across his face. Made it it all worth it. :D

I was not able to take any pics today (cant find my phone) but I did get some work done. I got the gas lines in and also created a bulkhead of sorts for the lines passing through the freezer. Had myself a heart-attack. I noticed what looked like a pressure line that was flat on one side. I guess it was a thermostat or something else because upon closer inspection it is a piece of 1/4 inch in diameter solid metal bar. The freezer is working fine and there is no hissing. Then I did a pressure check on the C02 lines and had a definite leak there. I mixed up some thick soapy water and found it where the hose exits the manifold to the keg. Tried tightening the screw clamp no luck cut off 1 inch and tried it again it held solid pressure. I did leave pressure on the lines but off at the tank. I plan on checking when I get back from my classes tomorrow to ensure I am set. Hopefully I will be locate my phone tonight and get pics up tomorrow evening.

Looks awesome. I went the cheaper and faster route and just converted a minifridge, but I would love to do a build like this in the future to stick in a bar room. Great Job.

Looks awesome. I went the cheaper and faster route and just converted a minifridge, but I would love to do a build like this in the future to stick in a bar room. Great Job.
Thanks. I went the fridge way also but it was not welcome in the house and I hated going to the garage to get a beer. I started slowly acquiring the stuff I needed a few years ago. Had to put everything on hold so we could move to WA and then get established. I finally decide it was time about 6 months ago bought a tool or two each month and started collecting palettes, only to find out that the equipment I bought was not enough and that the price was going to increase dramatically. The biggest price tag was the extra oak, they are proud of it. I need to find a supplier of rough cut lumber for my next project.

You said " I left the pressure on the lines, but not on the tank".
Left the CO2 on the beer, you are saying?

If so, you'll come back to no pressure on your lines, as the beer will absorb it...........That's if you don't have a leak.......;)

You said " I left the pressure on the lines, but not on the tank".
Left the CO2 on the beer, you are saying?

If so, you'll come back to no pressure on your lines, as the beer will absorb it...........That's if you don't have a leak.......;)

Yep that is what I did. I don't have any beer on the system, I just pressurized the system to checking for leaks. I do have a small leak somewhere after a day or so the pressure in the line dropped to zero. Does anyone have a good way to find a minuscule leak.

Well I Have a small leak any good ideas on finding it. It took a day or so but it dropped to zero. I got my lights working. I think I will wait for it to get dark and take a few shots.

Star-san works well. Mix per instructions and spray or pour on all connections and watch for bubbles. If you have any corny kegs connected, check around the base of the posts, the poppets, the lid, and the releaf valve.

Star-san works well. Mix per instructions and spray or pour on all connections and watch for bubbles. If you have any corny kegs connected, check around the base of the posts, the poppets, the lid, and the releaf valve.

+1 for starsan. You could also use some dish soap mixed in a little water. But that's more messy.

Thanks guys I found the leak this afternoon. It was an obvious one. I did not get the manifold connection tight. On another note IT IS FINISHED.. We will be moving it to it's final resting place at my house either Friday or Saturday, I even reconfigured the room so it will fit. I have to give my pops a lot of credit he donated his garage for the last couple of weeks so I could build this thing. He did not do a lot of the work but he held boards kept me focused and kept a eye on the stuff that should have been obvious, he would even put a stop to work when I needed a break. Here it is in all its's glory...

20140507_163606.jpg

20140507_163610 - Copy.jpg

20140507_163630.jpg

Success, It was a mother getting into the old house. Turn it this way turn it that way rotate it up rotate it down then reassemble it. Finally after about 2 hours it was done and I have beer cooling in it now. I should be able to take my first pint from her tomorrow after my son's lacrosse game.

20140509_181300.jpg

20140509_181307.jpg

I love your keeper build, and I am making one myself that is a similar style. (Very similar. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.) I'm debating about putting tile on top or one of the fancy formicas that are available these days. I prefer to do tile, but I'm concerned about the weight of the top.

Do you just have the cabinet top mounted to the freezer lid, or did you use some other hinge mechanism? If you are using the freezer hinges, did you do anything to reduce the load on them?

I really like it. I would like to do the same with mine someday.
I drive by a pallet manufacturer every day that has a huge bin of scrap wood for free. Would just need to borrow my brothers thickness planer.
Great looking build for sure.
Cheers..

Latest posts

Back