My jet burner is rockin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMW

Reaction score
I used my jet burner for batch #1 3 weeks ago and was underwhelmed, to say the least. It was functional, but I think I got as much heat energy from the thing on high as my kettle.

I decided to fix it for batch #2. I hap[pened to have a 8" cast iron plate hanging around from an old wood burning stove, set it on the burner and swung the baffle out of the way letting the plate take the full brunt of the flame.

The result? Wohoo! 6 gallons to 155 in 8 minutes.

Pic
DSC03996Small.jpg

Good to hear. I actually ordered one of these earlier today. My first batch on Friday took over 90 minutes to boil and that was enough.

I found that acehardwareoutlet.com had them for $39.99 with free shipping.

Do you really need the plate?

You don't HAVE to use it, but I found with my skinny pot and the baffle (the square just above the outlet) you end up with a good portion of the heat escaping up the side. With out it, you end up with a pretty wild hot spot right in the middle. Use the plate and you can get all the heat with no hot spot. :rockin:

Back