My interviewer was a homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaSaBiS

Reaction score
I was in an interview recently and all was going great. after we got through all the technical jargon, we got to hobbies. Of course I explained how much I love the techical aspect of being a HBer. all the DIY, water chem, etc and that turned my interview into a half hour Q and A on how I can help him brew better beer! At one point I had to remind him that we got side tracked but that I was there to learn more about the open position and needed to hear more about the job!

Funny stuff. HB stuff can either work towards your advantage or disadvantage during something like this. They are either going to consider you an alcoholic, or a Connoisseur.

anyone with similar stories like this?

*EDIT: also to include in my OP, post #6. Help me make a difficult decision!

I haven't had the same experience, but to ensure that the first impression of me by someone with power over my future leans more toward connoisseur than alcoholic, I introduce my hobby as zymology. :D Then I answer the followup question with "homebrewing."

Just hope it doesn't make me sound pedantic. :confused:

KaSaBiS said:
I was in an interview recently and all was going great. after we got through all the technical jargon, we got to hobbies. Of course I explained how much I love the techical aspect of being a HBer. all the DIY, water chem, etc and that turned my interview into a half hour Q and A on how I can help him brew better beer! At one point I had to remind him that we got side tracked but that I was there to learn more about the open position and needed to hear more about the job!

Funny stuff. HB stuff can either work towards your advantage or disadvantage during something like this. They are either going to consider you an alcoholic, or a Connoisseur.

anyone with similar stories like this?

Did you get the job?

I recently had an interview where my DIY for homebrewing actually gave me a leg up. Without this forum and the experience I gained from building my own fermentation chamber and kegerator, I wouldn't have even been considered. With the experience it sounds like I'm still in the running for an offer.

Here's hoping things work out for both us OP.

So, I once received a resume for a job I was in charge of hiring in DC and noticed that the applicant worked on the same block as I was working the exact same time about four years prior in New York City. Small world right? I knew the company he worked for and they had a lot of connections with the company I was working for. I knew all the food options in the area and thought there might be some overlap in our histories that might be interesting. If nothing else, I just had to know who this guy was so I called him to come in for the interview.

In terms of his skills, he was qualified for the job, but due to the constraints of our working conditions I was far more concerned about personality then competence. I knew that if he could meet the basic requirements but was someone I could get along with, then I was certainly going to hire him.

I started the interview as normal, we went through job requirements, explained the company, the customers, the work, we talked about his work history and where he wanted to go. He seemed reserved (perhaps even boring) but polite and competent and not weird at all, so I decided to go for the left hook at the end of the interview and asked "So, did you ever go to the Trevi Deli?"

He stumbled around a bit and I explained where I worked at the time. We immediately jumped into common knowledge of the area and completely clicked. I hired him because I knew he would be interesting to me in addition to the fact that he could do the job. He worked for me for a few years before moving away and we've kept in touch ever since. Last night he emailed me asking for a letter of reccomendation (I guess I'll get around to that).

Point being that a lot of people are wierdos and you don't want to work with them. If they're not wierd, they're lazy or just completely boring and uncool. If you're competent then that's great, but if you're competent and also potentially interesting to the people you have to work with, then that's a huge plus.

Generally people have a pretty good feel about your ability to do the job within the first few minutes of talking to you. For the rest of the time, a lot of interviews are just aimed to figure out if you're boring, weird, gross, awkward, inappropriate or a liar. If you hit on a shared interest (or just something interesting in general) with someone you're going to end up working with, then it can't do anything but help you in my opinion.

Did you get the job?

I will find out if I get the 2nd interview early next week. I actually just accepted another job offer and am in my two week period with my current employer. As of now I am switching careers into design engineering, with a solid raise and day shift. Will be a great change. The interview I was describing is actualy for the same field I am leaving with some strange stipulations (see below).

Maybe you guys could give me some input on this, which is almost another thread all together.

Job 1 (taken) vs Job 2 (waiting for 2nd interview)

First and foremost I am a new dad/husband and am looking foward to my first solid day shift job (always got off at midnight which sucks) so I get some time with the daughter, dinner as a family, and time for home 'projects' (rather than beer stuff taking up my weekends)

Job 1: Finally get 'Design Engineer' on the resume, stable hours, low stress (in comparison) and if I leave someday I will have 2 options for careers.

Job 2: 50% travel (Ouch) but the other time I work from home, typically only gone within the states for 2-3 days a week, so I will always be home on the weekends and beginning of the week. but the gig is crazy in the sense that it is 28k more than the other job (no big deal right?) It also removes all the crap/stressors out of the job I am currently resigning from and will turn into more of a programmer/instructor/problem solver roll.

Generally people have a pretty good feel about your ability to do the job within the first few minutes of talking to you. For the rest of the time, a lot of interviews are just aimed to figure out if you're boring, weird, gross, awkward, inappropriate or a liar. If you hit on a shared interest (or just something interesting in general) with someone you're going to end up working with, then it can't do anything but help you in my opinion.
Great story thanks for the input!

I recently had an interview where my DIY for homebrewing actually gave me a leg up. Without this forum and the experience I gained from building my own fermentation chamber and kegerator, I wouldn't have even been considered. With the experience it sounds like I'm still in the running for an offer.
Here's hoping things work out for both us OP.
Agreed
I think it really improved my chances, if not atleast made me stand out more!

I'd be leery of the 50% travel thing...you may find yourself traveling more than you thought.

My $0.02...don't miss a day with your new daughter. Especially not for $28k.

I'd be leery of the 50% travel thing...you may find yourself traveling more than you thought.

My $0.02...don't miss a day with your new daughter. Especially not for $28k.

Agreed but it should be 50% max. and although id be working from home I would still be working.

The perk is if I worked 8-12, I could give my daughter 5 hours and pick back up from 5-9pm which, coupled with no 1 hr total commute and no 1 hr break buys me even more time to my day. Very tough decision none the less

Job 2 looks damn tempting.

Travel can be fun and a learning experience in itself. And yeah, 50% max, but like Ty said, it could be more. My wife was in that spot for a bit. We were damn near in a long distance relationship. And I've worked away from home for weeks at a time too.

Working from home can be a mixed bag as well. I worked a job where I was out and about the first part of each day and then home to do the processing of the day's field work the second part. Or maybe out all day or two and then home a full day to do process. It turned into working anytime I wasn't sleeping. "Hey, since you're home anyway... I mean, you can do this anytime, and you're still at home..." You have to set work times, even in a job you enjoy.

$28,000 more a year? That's like a job's worth of money for some people. That's buying a new car with your raise money alone. Next year, it's an epic vacation. Every year it's a ton to sock away.

back to the OT: I am applying to med school in the next two years, and I have been working on getting more official things to reference about homebrewing. Joined the local club, entered competitions (really hoping to get a ribbon, would make it seem more like something competitive than just getting drunk), and I also want to work towards a BJCP certification.

it has some risk involved, but i think presenting a list of things that i have done with homebrewing instead of just saying i homebrew will maybe make it a bit more interesting and not give off the wrong impression.

Job 2 looks damn tempting.

Working from home can be a mixed bag as well. It turned into working anytime I wasn't sleeping.

$28,000 more a year? That's like a job's worth of money for some people. That's buying a new car with your raise money alone. Next year, it's an epic vacation. Every year it's a ton to sock away.

I am torn. as far as working anytime I wasnt sleeping, this position is hourly, in which case anything after 40hrs/wk is ot. they can pay me $60/hr if they want. I will gladly work some OT. That is just a stupid amnt of money.

The catch is, after I leave this traveling job (bound to happen sometime) I will have no choice but to go back to a Quality dept in mfg, vs having the option to work as a Design engineer OR Quality tech. Of course with that savings I could stop working for a 2 years and wrap up my Mech eng bachelors degree, then hop into that field.

I know that they pay me straight time in transit too. if I doze off at the start of a 6 hr flight, I wake up $240 richer.

on the other hand, being home with the wife for dinner all week, and having time for projects, brew club meetings etc have been on hold for about 7 years thus far.

back to the OT: I am applying to med school in the next two years, and I have been working on getting more official things to reference about homebrewing. Joined the local club, entered competitions (really hoping to get a ribbon, would make it seem more like something competitive than just getting drunk), and I also want to work towards a BJCP certification.

it has some risk involved, but i think presenting a list of things that i have done with homebrewing instead of just saying i homebrew will maybe make it a bit more interesting and not give off the wrong impression.

Couldnt agree with you more, and when it is brought up in the interview, as it will be if it is on your resume (I think is what you are considering?) then is the time to say you sometimes get the chance to knock a few back on the weekends.

KaSaBiS said:
I am torn. as far as working anytime I wasnt sleeping, this position is hourly, in which case anything after 40hrs/wk is ot. they can pay me $60/hr if they want. I will gladly work some OT. That is just a stupid amnt of money.

The catch is, after I leave this traveling job (bound to happen sometime) I will have no choice but to go back to a Quality dept in mfg, vs having the option to work as a Design engineer OR Quality tech. Of course with that savings I could stop working for a 2 years and wrap up my Mech eng bachelors degree, then hop into that field.

I know that they pay me straight time in transit too. if I doze off at the start of a 6 hr flight, I wake up $240 richer.

on the other hand, being home with the wife for dinner all week, and having time for projects, brew club meetings etc have been on hold for about 7 years thus far.

On topic: I'm currently working with a guy who played volleyball. We head to the gym once a week and play pick-up. It's very cool.

:off:

I've worked a 3/4/5 for about 6 years (3 nights away, 4 days on client, 5 work days/week) for about 6 years. We consider that 100% travel. The perks are much better pay an free travel (doing my honeymoon completely on points). I also get to focus on work while I'm on the road - no chores, no things around the house, etc.

On the flip side, traveling will be almost the same as the midnight shift at the old job. It's hard to get basics like car maintenance, house upkeep, and brewing done - your whole life is basically the weekend. That's tricky when your dentist, physician, etc only work weekdays. Additionally, if you decide to get off the road it's an instant pay cut.

It sounds like taking the design position was the right move. The salary may be lower now, but you can probably plan better and be happier long term. You'll also be around for a bunch of your daughter's life events that you'd otherwise miss. I live my job and I live to travel, but living 100+ nights a year in hotels isn't for everyone.

Job 1: Finally get 'Design Engineer' on the resume, stable hours, low stress (in comparison) and if I leave someday I will have 2 options for careers.

Job 2: 50% travel (Ouch) but the other time I work from home, typically only gone within the states for 2-3 days a week, so I will always be home on the weekends and beginning of the week. but the gig is crazy in the sense that it is 28k more than the other job (no big deal right?) It also removes all the crap/stressors out of the job I am currently resigning from and will turn into more of a programmer/instructor/problem solver roll.

I've worked as a design engineer for 2 companies (one in semiconductor and one in large electric motors) for the past 6 years. So I know a little about this world.

Having "Design Engineer" on your resume is a mixed blessing, especially without the degree. You can open up some low stress, well paying opportunities but you will be teathered to a computer for the vast majority of the day. Most of the non-degreed design engineers I've worked with get the more menial assignments. (At the semiconductor company, they were given simple designs of "add a tee to this manifold and extend it 1.4" then get me detailed drawing". At the electric motor company, they are strictly labeled as drafters and mechanical or electrical engineers tell them exactly what is desired and check it after it is complete.) Degreed engineers get a little more responsibility and freedom but in either case you are in a cubicle from 8-5 everyday staring at a computer screen.

Having said all that, both these companies would allow me to go back to school on their dime to finish a degree, as long as it didn't interrupt my work schdule. so getting the better projects is a possibility. Also, an 8-5 desk job doesn't have too much risk and has a lot of family time.

I know I passed up a $20k bump in salary to make sure I had time with my family and I haven't regretted that decision for one second.

YMMV. Good luck.

Back