My Imperial Pumpkin Extract Recipe Help Pleeease!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMarz

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm attempting my first pumpkin spice ale. Im keeping the spices mild in the boil because im planning on doing a spice tea right before bottling...I'm also still considering adding a few cans of baked pumpkin to the boil. My main concern however is the brown sugar, I'm not sure i want to dry it out THAT much. What do you guys think?

6.6 lb Dry Malt Extract - Light 53.7%
3 lb Dry Malt Extract - Amber 24.4%
1 lb Brown Sugar. 9.8%
1 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 40L. 8.1% 0.5 lb American - Carapils 4.1%
1 oz Mount Hood Pellet 4.8 Boil 60 min 12.76
1 oz Domestic Hallertau Pellet 3.9 Boil 30 min 8.77

1 warflocc tab Boil 15 min
0.5 tsp yeast nutrient Boil 10 min
1/4 tsp allspice Spice Boil 5 min
1/4 tsp cinnimon Spice Boil 5 min
1/4 tsp nutmeg Spice Boil 5 min
1/4 tsp pumkin pie spice Boil 5 min
1/4 tsp whole cloves Spice Boil 5 min
1 tahitian vanilla bean Secondary

Wyeast 1728 scottish ale yeast (2 liter starter)

Thanks Colorowdy, I've just started this batch I've decided I'm going to leave the light brown sugar in....what's the worst that can happen..haha.

Homemade pumpkin pie spice contains allspice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I would use caution adding more of those ingredients. I have a pumpkin pie brew in the fermenter now and added 3 big cans of pumpkin puree during the mash and a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice at the end of boil. It smelled and tasted great. The pumpkin was a nightmare trying to drain/rinse the grains.

I used canned pumpkin rather than a real pumpkin, 100% preservative free pumpkin. Three 29 oz cans for extra pumpkin flavor. Just dumped it in with 6 lbs of grains as recommended by the home brew shop owner, mashed for an hour. The pumpkin plugged up the strainer bag so I scrapped the sides of the bag with my spoon the help it drain.

i did this two years ago, i used real pumpkin, cooked in oven, and then put in primary, removed during the secondary stage so as to let the beer clear up. it tasted great.

I ended up not adding any pumpkin to my Imperial "pumpkin" ale. It's churning away smelling fantastic. The cinnamon and allspice is pouring out of the blowoff tube and all I can think about is thanksgiving. Yet still I didn't use real pumpkin. That being said I'm headed to the LHBS tomorrow and making another beer, this time with 3 lbs of pumpkin.

Fall is only once a year right? Lol

I'm going to brew a pumpkin spiced ale as well. I bought 3 lbs of 6-row that will go with actual pumpkin in the mash. This was what was suggested by Northern Brewer. But I was emailing with a local craft brewery in town, and they said to never put pumpkin in your beer, which I found very surprising considering I've seen so many do it and love it.

I also used 3 lbs of 2 row along with some Crystal and special b. Just racked to secondary and couldn't taste the pumpkin and spice like I did right after the boil. If/when I do another pumpkin batch, I am going to add them both in the secondary to try and keep more of the flavors.

Back