My Immersion chiller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrfocus

Reaction score
I've just finished my Immersion chiller, and wanted to ask a few questions.

This is my first time doing silver soldering, and despite having read quite a bit about it, it seems like my joints aren't as pretty as some that I've seen.

I've just finished cleaning it, first with dish soap, and then brushing it with some star-san (at double concentration, from what I saw Bobby_M said in another thread).

Here are some pics:

So what's your opinion guys?

I was thinking maybe wire brush and scrubbing?

Thanks

Looks like mine, if they hold water, they're fine. They're damn near impossible to get pretty.

This might sound crazy, but I have used ketchup to clean my copper before. I pour some on an old rag, coat the copper and let it sit. Wipe off and clean with soap and water thoroughly.

try it on a dirty nasty penny. it will look like brand new in a few minutes

This might sound crazy, but I have used ketchup to clean my copper before. I pour some on an old rag, coat the copper and let it sit. Wipe off and clean with soap and water thoroughly.

try it on a dirty nasty penny. it will look like brand new in a few minutes

Makes sense. Tomato paste: acidic. Vinegar: acidic. Salt: corrosive. All three are ingredients in ketchup.

OK, so now before I use it (Sunday or Monday), should I boil it in water to passify the copper? What about adding a little vinegar? John Palmer recommends cleaning it the first time with vinegar (I used star-san since I didn't have enough vinegar, altough I will do a vinegar soaking Saturday night).

Thanks for the quick replies.

vinegar will clean the copper but not take off the flux,, I have found that Bar Keeper friend and a green scubby pad does the job very well
before your first use put some back pressure on the cooler,, hook it up to a garden hose's, in and out and clamp off the outlet to check for leaks at your joints..
nothing like watering down your first brew with a water leak...

soldering takes some practice, but i think you did a good job. leak test yet?

I ran some water through it. Went fine and came out with quite a bit of pressure on the other end.

As the poster before stated though, I will apply some pressure on it, just to be sure.

BKF isn't available here, what else could I use to take of the excess flux (supposing there is some, not sure what it looks like after soldering)?

Got this trick from an old plumber, put a bit of soapy water on a rag and get the propane torch out again. Heat up the copper (not enough to melt the solder) and wipe it with the rag, it'll shine right up!

I connected the tubing to it and ran some water through for a few minutes to be sure nothing was leaking. Seems to be working fine.

Hope to be using it Sunday or Monday at the latest!

Latest posts

Back