My idea for making full "strength" session IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfish

Reaction score
I’ve had a number of session beers, but I’ve never had one that I thought really satisfied my cravings in the same way that a full strength IPA does.

I have an idea for making a session beer that might taste like a bigger beer. What if you took a full strength IPA recipe and simply divided the grain bill into two parts of roughly 30 and 70% . By that I mean 30% of all the grains from the original grain bill (base malt and specialty malts) in one portion, and 70% in the other.

I would take that 30% and “mash” it at room temp over night in my mash tun. I batch sparge, so after draining the cold unconverted “wort” id batch sparge with the appropriate amount of room temp water to collect cold grain tea. I think that this step would extract all (most?) of the desirable flavors from the grain without creating new sugars.

Next, I would mash the 70% of the remaining as usual. My plan after this is to bring the 70% wort to a boil and add the 30% wort to it while keeping the temperature above 170 to ensure no conversion takes place. After this step I would proceed as normal.

What do you think? Has this been done before? Thoughts for tweaking or improving the idea? I was thinking about trying this out soon on a 2 hearted ale clone recipe with centennial hops so I wouldn't break the bank trying this experiment on a bigger IPA.

I havent had issues making session IPAs that feel and taste like regular ones. YOu just cant scale all the grains linearly. higher % specialty malts and some flaked ingredients go a long way

I would take that 30% and “mash” it at room temp over night in my mash tun. I batch sparge, so after draining the cold unconverted “wort” id batch sparge with the appropriate amount of room temp water to collect cold grain tea. I think that this step would extract all (most?) of the desirable flavors from the grain without creating new sugars.

Overnight, you'd see some conversion. You also might see lactobacillus begin some work in there, depending upon temps and how long it stays in the water.

I get what you're trying to do, but I'm skeptical this is the solution. You could get the same effect as this, much simpler, by just adding some grain to water hot enough to denature the enzymes and add that to your boil. It could be done separately or as a capped mash, and wouldn't take all night nor risk lacto creating acidity.

I'd try to get the the cause of why you find session IPAs unsatisfying. Is it lack of body? Lack of malt character? Lack of alcohol? There are better ways to address each of these issues.

I have an idea for making a session beer that might taste like a bigger beer. What if you took a full strength IPA recipe and simply divided the grain bill into two parts of roughly 30 and 70% .

I would take that 30% and “mash” it at room temp over night in my mash tun.
Next, I would mash the 70% of the remaining as usual. My plan after this is to bring the 70% wort to a boil and add the 30% wort to it while keeping the temperature above 170 to ensure no conversion takes place. After this step I would proceed as normal.

What do you think?
I'm all in for new experimental methods. I say go for it and report what you find. Good Luck! :mug:

Overnight, you'd see some conversion. You also might see lactobacillus begin some work in there, depending upon temps and how long it stays in the water.

I get what you're trying to do, but I'm skeptical this is the solution. You could get the same effect as this, much simpler, by just adding some grain to water hot enough to denature the enzymes and add that to your boil. It could be done separately or as a capped mash, and wouldn't take all night nor risk lacto creating acidity.

I'd try to get the the cause of why you find session IPAs unsatisfying. Is it lack of body? Lack of malt character? Lack of alcohol? There are better ways to address each of these issues.

Lack of body and malt character are the major ones for me. They always seem too watery. I personally havent made many session beers myself, I'm mostly speaking from my experiences with commercial offerings.

Yes, was thinking after i made my first post, that some method for denaturing amylase could also be effective. Maybe mashing the 30% portion at 175F could be an easy compromise?

Have you tried mashing higher, using flaked malts, higher kilned base malts, and the like? I'd try all that before making starch water to add to the boil.

Have you tried mashing higher, using flaked malts, higher kilned base malts, and the like? I'd try all that before making starch water to add to the boil.

Have you ever tried adding starch water to your boil? Are you certain that this will be awful?

More seriously, why flaked malts over from regular malt?

Have you ever tried adding starch water to your boil? Are you certain that this will be awful?

More seriously, why flaked malts over from regular malt?

Certain? No, of course not. I'd just recommend trying the usual malt/body boosting methods first, is all. Unless you really just want to experiment, and that's what's driving this.

Flaked grains tend to enhance body, hence the suggestion. Don't know that I've ever seen flaked malts. Sorry about that typo above.

I generally put a lot of hops at front of the boil, within 0-20 minutes of the boil depending on how bitter you want it (i've never had a beer that was to bitter, that's just silly :D). The end is really just for aroma anyway.

You can get better body and mouthfeel than 95% of commercial examples of this style by adding oats, getting your water dialed in, and mashing higher. I also do no boil session IPAs that have significant body for the style.

Back