My hops vrs. commercial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theowlman16

Reaction score
I don't get it. The hops I grow look, smell and work nothing like the ones I buy in the package. The ones from the store are full of flavor, oil and just awesome beer makin goodness (especially the pellets). Mine seem dry, lifeless and not even worth growing. What am I doing wrong? (I am in central NC and have success only growing Cascade).

You're not living in a region suited to growing high quality hops . . . ? Honestly, they're very easy to grow, but as you've stated it's not really easy to grow hops of the same quality as those grown in regions better suited to their success. It's kind of like me growing watermelons up here in NEOhio, they'll grow and if you give them enough water they'll get real big, but they just don't taste the same as those grown down south. Not saying you can't do it, but there's a reason people go to school to receive degrees in the plant sciences.

So true. There is an element of Terroir in growing hops. Certain areas are going to have hops that grow, and taste and smell, differently than hops grown in other areas. This is due to the local climate and soil conditions.

On top of that, you may not be harvesting at the same maturity as the professionals. They've had lots of experience in growing and selling, and they probably have specialized equipment to make them able to pinpoint the optimum harvesting time for that strain.

I've also found that packaged hops, especially pelletized hops, will have more aroma than freshly dried hops. The packaging may help concentrate the aroma.

I'd first look at when you have been harvesting. Are they drying out too much on the plant?

What other varieties are you growing? Each variety has specific growing needs.

Like previously stated, where you are located is just not a good climate for growing most strains of hops.

A long cold winter does wonders for a hop plant if it is properly maintained. You typically don't hear a lot about the long deep freeze winters of NC! Lol!

Now with that being said I've tasted good hops that have been grown further and further south of the 45th parallel. The soil these farmers are growing in is prime for hops. The best thing to do is send your hops in for testing. That will tell you, or a professional, where to start.

-J

How old are your plants? There is the element of maturity, in addition to terroir.

While this is generally true....I can attest that my main set of Cascade hop plants (8 hills) of approximately 31 years are still producing wonderful cones full of lupulin and aromatics. :mug:

And a side note...I also planted a new Cascade plant which hasn't done as well. It's in it's second year so maybe this year will surprise me. Go figure. Same soil, same techniques....

There is a reason why most hops are grown in the Yakima Valley region of Washington...climate. That goes for grapes, too.

There is a reason why most hops are grown in the Yakima Valley region of Washington...climate. That goes for grapes, too.

Grapes, like hops, prefer deep well drained soils so it's no surprise that you find both grape and hop growing regions together all around the globe. Just two that come to mind are the Finger Lakes Region in NY, and the region occupying the north end of the south island in NZ.

Grapes, like hops, prefer deep well drained soils so it's no surprise that you find both grape and hop growing regions together all around the globe. Just two that come to mind are the Finger Lakes Region in NY, and the region occupying the north end of the south island in NZ.

Grapes also like south facing slopes (in the northern hemisphere of course), with little-to-no humidity, and hot days/cool nights. I suspect the same of hops, you simply aren't going to find that in the south eastern US.

From what I understand is the Finger Lakes Region of NY was a huge hop growing area many years ago. It's starting to make a surge again and you see hop farms pop up all over around here. I just planted Chinook and Centennial last year from a local hop farmer (5 mins away) who cut them fresh. I asked a million different questions and he said, just keep them watered (don't over do it and cause root rot) and you're good to go. The climate and soil conditions are excellent in this area.

With all of that being said, I am sure it has to do with your location. The example of the watermelon is true just like other produce, some places grow better crops than others.

From what I understand is the Finger Lakes Region of NY was a huge hop growing area many years ago. It's starting to make a surge again and you see hop farms pop up all over around here. I just planted Chinook and Centennial last year from a local hop farmer (5 mins away) who cut them fresh. I asked a million different questions and he said, just keep them watered (don't over do it and cause root rot) and you're good to go. The climate and soil conditions are excellent in this area.

Back in the late 80's I was living in Canandaguia and working out of Rochester and that's where I found my first wild hops. My work had me traveling across the state and everywhere I worked I'd check to see if they had a homebrew shop. A guy in Syracuse put me in touch with a fellow who was or had brewed at FX Matt and later at the Syracuse Suds Factory who gave me some rhizomes that he said came from the stock that was used to establish the first commercial hopyard in Madison County back in the early 1800s. The glacial activity that helped form the Finger Lakes left some really nice soil to grow hops (and grapes) in, but the higher humidity here as compared to the PNW increases the production costs due to added sprays for disease. http://allaboutbeer.com/canadian-red-vine/ https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/2450/hopcultivars/21679.html

I don't get it. The hops I grow look, smell and work nothing like the ones I buy in the package. The ones from the store are full of flavor, oil and just awesome beer makin goodness (especially the pellets). Mine seem dry, lifeless and not even worth growing. What am I doing wrong? (I am in central NC and have success only growing Cascade).

Got any photos of one of your cones at picking time ? How's the lupulin look in there ?

I don't have any pics. It's probably a combination of all of the above. This was the first year, I've heard they will get much better after the roots are big and happy. I did not see much lupulin at all, my cones were very dry. Maybe I waited too long. I might try harvesting at different intervals next year to see when is best. We only planted them for fun, so I'm not heartbroken - but we'll keep givin' them a place to grow each year.

So far I too have only had success with cascade... planted 2 years ago and this last fall I had a very large harvest. I dried them in my dehydrators and bagged them up and froze them. still waiting on something to brerw with some of them since I'm not a huge IPA fan... probably use them in a pale ale soon.

This was the first year, I've heard they will get much better after the roots are big and happy. I did not see much lupulin at all, my cones were very dry. Maybe I waited too long.QUOTE]

Sounds like you are on target for first year. Year 3 is usually the one that shows a significant increase in yield and that your rhizomes are getting established and are happy where they are. As for dry cones..... one thing hops love is water. Water, water, water.

by%20hops%2026_zpshf1pfxbu.jpg

by%20hops%201_zpsqsimtlwi.jpg

I had some East Kent Goldings growing up by the house, in a sunny place, but there were 3 sections of Willamette Hops on each side of it that grew 100 times faster each year and just smothered them.... so I moved the EKG out into the yard and put a old wooden 6 foot ladder over the top of it.

These two pics are from year three, top one is early on and second is near the end of the season :D

Back