My Hail Mary Christmas Keezer Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arglesnaf

Reaction score
I have been lurking on this forum a while and finally set up an account. Man is this place inspiring. I decided to build a keezer literally one week before Christmas. I wanted to serve Great Lakes Christmas Ale - a family favorite, and I have a fair amount of Great Lakes paraphernalia. But as this forum has shown me, anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Also I wanted to be able to keg my homebrew, since I have found bottling to be a PITA. I decided to follow the collar instructions at Billy Brew since it looked like a project I could handle.

12/18: I ordered a black 8.8cft Kenmore Freezer from the local Sears hardware. I paid $329 and have since discovered that Sears and K-Mart charge different prices at every location, and you only have seven days to get an adjustment. This can be found for $299 at Super K. Second I placed an order at Keg Connection for the Four Faucet Fridge Kegerator Kit These guys rock and the prices seem great. Upgraded everything to stainless.

12/19: Sat on my hands. Browsed Forums.

12/20: After being inspired by you guys I decided I needed a stout faucet as well and would add Beer Gas on that tap later. Ordered it just for show. Also went to Home Depot for the collar bits and pieces.

Later that night a co-worker of SWMBO showed up to pick up some baby stuff for her grand kids. Her retired husband came as well, and told me that his job is now golf, and his hobby is woodworking. So I showed him the video on Billy Brew. He said "that's great, but do you want it to look like a piece of furniture?" Long story short he offered to do the facing and some trim work over the next two days as long as I built the inner collar.

12/21: Pick up freezer, cut the inner collar to dimensions, ship it off to the woodshop. Turns out the laser sight on my circular saw sucks.

12/22: Buy the keg of Christmas Ale, stash it in the Garage. Get the collar back and it is great. Added two space heaters and started sanding, drilling and staining. Turns out I can keep the area where I was woodworking at 55, so I was hopeful for the staining.

12/23: More staining, turns out 55 is not entirely warm enough to get penetration with Minwax.

12/24: More staining, find a great source for CO2 - ABC Fire - that is half the price of Airgas \ Praxair. (Thanks HBT!) Keg Connection order arrives! Ok, enough staining. Was supposed to be Red Mahogany but looks like Walnut. Start hitting it up with the spar urethane.

12/25: More sealing and start the assembly. Understood that I clearly missed something by ordering an array of primary regulators. I also had some bicycles to assemble and a flying angry bird blimp, so it was a race to the finish. But as Santa's deer landed on the roof I was able to pour him a pint of fresh beer!

WP_20140106_15_59_04_Pro.jpg

WP_20140106_16_00_27_Pro.jpg

• Order angle bonnets for the Perlicks, the trim doesn't allow them to close with a proper handle. - Done
  • Add a second eva-dry - too much condensation for my taste
  • Going to move the cylinder external, and I want the hump for an additional keg because it will fit.
  • Need to figure out the bill of materials to build a secondary array of 4 regulators using the two primaries I already bought.
  • Going to make a few additional swappable lines for balancing
  • Build a bar!

That's awesome. Nice turnaround time. Maybe this will be my inspiration for a keezer of my own!

"Angle bonnets"..........Ya' got a ton of shank inside that collar.......Couldn't you you space the faucets out a little more to get the needed clearance?

Nice build and thrash, by the way!

Thanks =) You know I really could have used some of that shank, and I looked at some alternate shank flanges as well as putting some raised molding there, but to be honest I am sick of staining wood at the moment. Plus I have convinced myself that all that extra shank is good for keeping the faucet cold =). I will probably do it later though.

My neighbor and his brother who owns a nano-brewery in Philadelphia have both offered to buy one each for themselves and one to resell, but I hated staining the wood so much. My issue was probably caused my time crunch and the temperature. I will look building theirs when the weather is warmer. I've also considered getting a box of 8 inch prefinished Brazillian Cherry from lumber liquidators, but I am unsure how to cap the corners. The Forstner bit should be fine on the flooring. I also think I want to try adding a coffin box to support a beer engine or two.

Since I posted this I already reconfigured the regulators into a primary and secondary bank, just have to order two more. I forgot that I still need to work out the drip tray as well. I am thinking either a brass chain suspended one, or one of the magnet attached ones I have seen here.

Thanks =) You know I really could have used some of that shank, and I looked at some alternate shank flanges as well as putting some raised molding there, but to be honest I am sick of staining wood at the moment. Plus I have convinced myself that all that extra shank is good for keeping the faucet cold =). I will probably do it later though.

I had the same problem. I added a piece of molding to the front of the keezer and it took care of it. I ordered the angle bonnets, but I wasn't happy with them. It was difficult to get them lined up properly.

Back