My GE 5 cu ft Keezer with 3 taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTbar

Reaction score
So I just finished my 5 cu ft keezer build featuring 3 taps!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408310422.291524.jpg

So I built the collar with 2x8 pine for the inner collar and 1x10 pine for the outer collar, the 2x8 leaves me enough room for a third 5 gallon ball lock on the hump, I have my co2 outside of the keezer and a three way manifold for the gas line.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408310764.017381.jpg

I went with 4 inch stainless steel shanks and I will upgrade to perlick faucets when I get the money, I am using the standard faucets that i received as a gift. I run 4 foot beer lines that seem to pour perfect thus far. I control the temp by a Johnson digital controller.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408311033.250106.jpg

The collar I stained with "minwax gunstock" and a sealed with a polyurethane clear coat, then insulated with r max insulating board and applied weather stripping between the collar and freezer.

Overall was a pretty easy project, but I did learn a few things that i thought I should pass on.

So I have worked with wood before but not a whole lot, and 2x8 doesn't actually mean 2 inches by 8 inches so another trip to Home Depot after I made the wrong cuts.

Don't rush staining I didn't think it would take 2 days to dry but it does.

Other than that it went smooth and I have an awesome looking keezer!

Here's some pics before it was stained,( had to pour some pints out of it before I stained it haha) and my 10lb co2 tank tucked away around the side. If you guys have any questions about my build feel free to ask!

I also give credit to http://billybrew.com/how-to-build-a-keezer for the basis of my plans

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408311950.288209.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408311962.457878.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1408311977.151974.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nice job on the keezer. You might want to consider putting a computer fan in there somehow to recirculate cool air. I think my compressor runs less with the fan but it could be my imagination.

I have my fan plugged into a power strip controlled by the same Johnson A419 you use so that both the fan and the freezer cut on and off together. Placement might be an issue so that you can get kegs in and out. On my small fermentation freezer in which I put a fan I created a swivel base for the fan to get it out of the way when moving things in and out.

Nice job on the keezer. You might want to consider putting a computer fan in there somehow to recirculate cool air. I think my compressor runs less with the fan but it could be my imagination.

I have my fan plugged into a power strip controlled by the same Johnson A419 you use so that both the fan and the freezer cut on and off together. Placement might be an issue so that you can get kegs in and out. On my small fermentation freezer in which I put a fan I created a swivel base for the fan to get it out of the way when moving things in and out.

yeah working on the fan, three kegs is tight but still have enough room to squeeze one in :) after I insulated my probe and strapped it to a keg my compressor only runs about 6% working cycle, kicks on for 6 mins after an hour and a half or so. The fan would forsure help with the little extra foam i get on the first pour from the lines heating up near the top.

Back