My Garage turned home Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusader1612

Reaction score
Hi, All, A quick follow up from the build I did for my Kegerator :)
I decided to gut my smalled garage/shed. and build a bar to suit my homebrewing lifestyle.....

so here goes.

The Process of gutting this area, removing all shevling and ensuring I'm structurally sound. Cleaning the filthy floor (years of neglect), and hten painting the floor with Garage paint.

I had full kegs in the TARDIS so it's difficult to move around, plus there's nothing like a cold beer after a hard days work.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After completely gutting and removing all shelving, and literally anywhere to store my equipment, kegs buckets carboys and a few tools, I needed some storage.

I decided to build from scratch, as the previous was old, dated, and I wanted the area to "look pretty"

so once I moved my Fermenting Fridge ot the corner, I stuck some pine to the top of it, creating a shelf of sorts.

Then I framed the storage area for a nice pine shelf, which would be stained and vernished (with difficulty because my whole garage is not really very straight). I then used plywood to mount the top and walls of the sides. and framed it up to hide the structure with rounded edges and the rest.
coloring in comes later.

8.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Because I own a grainfather for my 5.5 gallon batches (I've brewed for a number of years with different equipment from BIAB Mash tuns, 2 vessel re-circ and now this) my brewery is relatively compact, and essentially stacks on top of itself.

So I built this stand -
Tier1 Sparge heater
Tier2 Counter Flow Chiller
Tier3 Grainfather itself (pull it out to brew on it, and all relevant hoses have been lengthened to suit.

As I was brewing a few days later I stained and varnished pretty quickly for easy wipe down.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Given the small area I had to work with, we decided (me and the wife) that the bar would be more leaner then actual walk behind bar, (cocktail style). that way when I can actually afford it, a small Tv goes above it.
spo I framed the main structure, and used plywood for covering. I added a Pine foot rest, to finish the look. (4x2 dressed up)

then the top goes on.....

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Once the top was on, I needed to dress the structure and the bar top (I'm waiting for a poster and some Perspex to fit in to the slots)

all dressed and ready.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Now, before I colored everything in I needed to frame up a poster I bought online on one of my conditioning fridges (it hold any bottle conditioned stock I have), which is beside my fermenting fridge. I wanted a display so I painted both fridges with black chalkboard paint (The fermenting fridge only got half)
and I painted lines on the ferm fridge so people can seewhats coming up next, and any details to suit.
then I framed it up (Wood to metal Glue (weldbond is a godsend sometimes)

I also had to seal up the window with Foam and built archtrave using leftover wood to hide it.

22.jpg

37.jpg

11.jpg

You'll also see the new couch I bought online (2nd hand of course) for relaxation and a pint of my finest...

Then it was onto the dreaded coloring in part (i ended up with it all over myself because I'm super messy.

40.jpg

38.jpg

Finally the bar was stained and luxuriously Varnished (i put so much on it wasn't funny)
you'll notice the Skirting for the bar top is black. when I went to get this stuff, they had none of the dressed pine left, so I had to use a lower grade pine (undressed) which would've meant different coloration from the stain/varnish. so black it became (varnished of course)

at that point I knew I was near the finishing line, so I pulled out my birthday resents (the 2 stools) and took a seat.

36.jpg

Last edited:
Nearing the end ( I don't know what I'll do with myself now....)
I hung all my mancave signs, all the other knick nacks (including staining the main doors)

I got the Lagunitas sign for free from a local on my visit to... russian river last year (he was a local, and a fantastic guy - so cheers)

34.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

So now the final reveal, I hung a number of things, added little bits and pieces to finish the "looks"
I'm still waiting for the perpex and the poster for the central point on the top. so when that finally happens I'll add to it.

The dartboard was a christmas present which was hung a few days ago.
the posters were added, and the couch cleaned, some (not all) of my gear added to the storage. the red fridge is now black, and hold the beer glasses.
I use an icebox update down for a coffee table ( left over ply stuck to the top)

the blue cabinet I painted "Tardis blue" and use it for hidden storage and carboy holding in the cooler months (it gets pretty wamr in summer) its my old fermenting chamber without cooling.

27.jpg

39.jpg

37.jpg

33.jpg

31.jpg

30.jpg

29.jpg

28.jpg

26.jpg

So there will be additions to come -
TV added
posters and perpex. maybe some more cool signs to make people laugh.

Hope you enjoy, and if you have any questions let me know.

Oh and one more thing -
All I used wasa drop saw, a Tsquare tape measure and multi tool - I am in no way a carpenter ( i work in a desk job)

and the shed was christened for New Years.

Back