My freezer!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
Well after two weeks of working on my Kegerator it is done!!! Many thanks go out to my girls step dad for being very fussy with his saw cuts. The outside is 2x4 fur and the inside is plywood and then topped with pine to hide the plywood. There was a inner lip that stepped down inside the freezer. We used that to our benefit. On one of the inner pieces of plywood we made the outer one longer to have a snug fit that locked the collar into place. There was NO side to side or front to back movement once the collar was fitted. We then made up a few inner brackets the hook to the inside plastic lip and a tube of liquid nails was used in-between the collar and the freezer. For a sealer we used white 100% silicone to fill and seal the inner and outer seams (also gives it that nice “finished” look).

Now the dolly,

After starting this project I realized there was another issue. The freezer was not going to be easy to move once it was all together. I remembered seeing others with dolly’s under their freezers and thought BINGO. So consulting with my building partner for a short bit he had it all figured out in minutes. The next day I went over to his house and went down to his work shop to see the dolly all framed out!! I had already gotten the wheels so we got them installed with16 3 and1/2” bolts that hold it all together.
After getting the freezer onto the dolly my very picky partner wasn’t pleased with it. He suggested we put a small piece of molding in the front. At first I said it was fine, but he convinced me to let him install the damn molding. Well after it was installed and painted it really gave it that nice clean look.

There was a lot of work and thoughts put into this project and all in all I am very very proud to show it off and even happier to pull my drafts without opening the freezer.

The finish is gunstock stain and three coats of polyurethane on all the sides and top. The front has 4 and one coat on the bottom just to seal the wood. Also the cork is plugging the third tap hole. I hope to have the third tap soon…

Many thanks to my girls step dad for the great help:rockin:!!!!!

freezerfront.jpg

freezerside.jpg

freezertop.jpg

sweet! looks great! :mug:

Jesus! How many pizzas did it take to finish that beast?

HAHAHA I didn't even think of those pizza boxes. There are plenty more were those came from. They are saved for making stepping stones :)

Nice, did you add that wood boarder just for the taps? I want to build one and was just going to drill through the side for the taps or do a tap tower but like how you did that.
Looks like you can convert the fridge back if you ever wanted to.

Ok, but what do you use to seal under it? Just some silicone or something like that? Also how does the lid stay closed? Normally it used a magnet to seal the door correct?

Thanks

Ok, but what do you use to seal under it? Just some silicone or something like that? Also how does the lid stay closed? Normally it used a magnet to seal the door correct?

Thanks
To seal under it we used a tube of liquid nails and on the outer seams 100% silicone to seal the seams.

IrregularPulse is correct on adding wood collars are also added to allow vertical room for the kegs.

However in my case it was used just as a spacer for my taps.

Thanks every one for the great feed back!!!!

Dubge, as far as I know, there's no magnetic strip holding a chest freezer lid closed - that's only used for upright fridge/freezers. Barring scenarios involving orbit or various paranormal phenomena, gravity handles things just fine.

On my converted freezer (still in progress), I removed the rubber seal from the lid and attached it to the bottom of the collar. It's just a wobbly bit of rubber, no magnets or metal strips that I could see.

Dubge, as far as I know, there's no magnetic strip holding a chest freezer lid closed - that's only used for upright fridge/freezers. Barring scenarios involving orbit or various paranormal phenomena, gravity handles things just fine.

On my converted freezer (still in progress), I removed the rubber seal from the lid and attached it to the bottom of the collar. It's just a wobbly bit of rubber, no magnets or metal strips that I could see.

That is how it was on my freezer as well. No metal strip or magnets. Just a rubber seal.

Back