My First Successful Mead!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodatech

Reaction score
I bottled it today, and sampled half a glass with my wife and it tastes great already! With no aging!

I brewed 2.5 gallons of it, and here is the recipe if anyone would like to try it or modify it.

2.5 Gallons of water
4 bottles of honey (32oz.)
1 "bunch" of miniature red bananas
Fleischmanns bread yeast
2 small tea bags

I sliced the bananas, then LIGHTLY boiled them for about 10 minutes in the 2.5 gallons of water. Turned off the heat, added in the honey, and poured it in the carboy. I let the whole mess cool off, then pitched my yeast, and it fermented for about 4 weeks. Bottled it today and its pretty sweet.

Next time I am going to use more bananas.

Oh yeah, I used the tea bags in the carboy as a bit of nutrient.

Four weeks? That's really soon for a mead.... Are you sure it was done fermenting? Is it still cloudy?

Yea it was definitely done. Its been sitting in the closet, crystal clear, for about a week now. I could be wrong though...It MAY have been 5 or 6 weeks...I stuffed it in the closet and forgot about it. I just checked it every weekend to see if it was done. It was clear and last weekend, and no airlock activity the weekend before.

I have brewed plenty of beer, but this is only my 2nd batch of mead. First one tasted like rocket fuel, then mellowed into a flat beer taste...it was weird, and bad.

Back