My first recipe - any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjornkri

Reaction score
I'm brewing next weekend and admittedly the recipe is largely dictated by what I have left over in my basement. Planning to open the first bottle for the World Cup final, so that's a bit my theme here. I'm supporting Belgium, so I'm going for a saison, I want it red-tinted like the football team, and I want it a bit malty and spicy rather than too hoppy just because ;) Dry with a nice stable head because it's a saison.

This is what I'm planning (converted from metric so the amounts may seem a bit strange):

9lb 4oz Pale malt
14oz flaked oats
14oz wheat malt
4oz Aromatic malt
7oz table sugar
3.5oz candy sugar, dark
2oz roasted barley at end of mash (for colour)

Mash at 150 for 60 mins

1.4oz Tettnang 45 mins
1oz Styrian Goldings whirlpool

Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison

So, anything in there that looks like a particularly bad idea? Anything I might improve?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My only thought is that the oats seem out of place. I'm not sure you want that sort of slick mouthfeel/finish they give in something like this, I usually expect a saison to be dry and crisp. Otherwise without seeing the actual specs it looks good to me.

3724 can be a temperamental yeast. I wouldn't go there if I need the beer in a month.

I agree with Chicky, skip the oats. Also, 3724 is a finicky yeast, have you brewed with it before?

If not you'd be best to pitch it at 75-80 and let it rise to 90, otherwise it can stall or slowly chug along for weeks to finish

Sent from the Commune

Good point about the oats, think I'll skip them. I've brewed with 3711 before and it went really well. Wanted to try the other Saison this time. This is also my first time doing a starter, so I thought I was pretty safe, now you've got me worried. Maybe I'll order the French Saison again and leave this one for a later brew...

Agreed with omitting the oats, and my go-to Belgian strain when I need it soon is Wyeast Ardennes. Ardennes finishes nicely crisp, and is also the only Belgian yeast I've ever encountered that drops bright quickly.

Cheers,

Bob

I ended up using the 3724 and it was indeed pretty difficult. Had to put it in the bathtub a few times to get it warm, kept it wrapped in towels in between and still it was a bit sluggish. Bottled at 1.012 which was a bit higher than I was aiming for and the result was OK, but not great.

... but I rushed it too much! Took about 3 months of conditioning before it really started to shine. Now I only have 6 bottles left and it's *delicious*.

Latest posts

Back