My first pop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanbrewer

Reaction score
Looking for some advice since I can't seem to relax about my first batch of beer. I'm thirsty.....!

I am making an IPA which has been racked in its primary fermentor for 8 days. When do I rack to the secondary glass carboy as I am dying to break in? I am a bit concerned at the length of time (8days) it has been in the primary and that fact that the CO2 is still bubbling every 10 seconds. Directions said 4 days.

Should I really wait until it bubbles once a minute or do most of you go by the hydrometer reading? Also what factors can be contributing to the long fermentation. Storage temp etc…

I probably should just relax....

Oceanbrewer said:
Looking for some advice since I can't seem to relax about my first batch of beer. I'm thirsty.....!

I am making an IPA which has been racked in its primary fermentor for 8 days. When do I rack to the secondary glass carboy as I am dying to break in? I am a bit concerned at the length of time (8days) it has been in the primary and that fact that the CO2 is still bubbling every 10 seconds. Directions said 4 days.

Should I really wait until it bubbles once a minute or do most of you go by the hydrometer reading? Also what factors can be contributing to the long fermentation. Storage temp etc…

I probably should just relax....

I have racked after 5 days and after as much as 10 days. I think it is better to rack to the 2nd'ary while you are still getting some bubbling if only because the creation of CO2 will be there and force the oxygen off the top layer of the beer once you get it into the carboy. My last batch was pretty dead after 5 days in the primary and when I racked it to the carboy it took off again and formed a small krousen so I didn't have to worry about oxydation. Rack it anytime - it's ready.

Sanitize - sanitize - sanitize

Generally, I rack after about 5-7 days which fits nicely into my schedule usually. Some brewers use the following rule of thumb: rack as soon as the krausen has fallen back into the beer.

Good luck, hope it turns out great!

Back