My First Personal Recipe - Bourbon Barrel Cranberry Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpartschjr

Reaction score
I recently posted an introduction that explains how i got started with my desire to home brew which has quickly turned from desire, to passion, to obsession (just ask SWMBO).

I started with a recipe from Extreme Brews by Sam C. and then did some kit beers. This was just to get my feet wet as i did not get into home brewing to make kits, i did it to personalize what i was drinking and replicate things i could not find again or create things i thought would be good.

I recently built a recipe off the top of my head and used a software program to help make sure i was where i needed to be. I would love any feedback you can provide, both negative and positive. I do not yet have the set up to do AG but will by mid year so this is an extract.

Bourbon Cranberry Braggot

Braggot (26 B)

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.39 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 3.64 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 4.50 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

6 lbs 9.6 oz Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 1 48.5 %
1.00 oz Hallertau [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 2 8.3 IBUs
7 lbs Honey [added once Wort falls below 110 degrees F to keep aromas/body]
1.0 pkg Pasteur Champagne yeast
3.50 oz Cranberry Extract (Primary 5.0 days)
5.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Added to cooled Wort with yeast)
4.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days)

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.087 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.001 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.5 %
Bitterness: 8.3 IBUs
Est Color: 10.1 SRM

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle
Pressure/Weight: 3.53 oz
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Carbonation Used: Bottle with 3.53 oz Corn Sugar
Age for: 30.00 days
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Notes
Add 1.5-2 oz/gal of makers mark bourbon to bottling bucket. Do this to taste, potentially add some vanilla extract as well at 1 oz per gallon or to taste for a test gallon batch or use 1-2 beans in secondary. Do this only after you have determined if necessary.

Now for my questions prior to feedback
-I figured cranberry extract will be easier than utilizing dried cranberries that have been boiled and processed in a food processor but i am not worried about ease as much as i am creating a recipe i can make over and over with consistency.
-Bourbon addition... I have read to soak oak in bourbon for 5-10 days (during primary) or you can add at bottle time and again, looking for consistency, i went with at the end but want honest feedback
-I plan to make a second batch, after i confirm this is what i want, that i would scale down to 3 galls and put in 4 1 gallon glass jugs to play with honey types added to fermenter, dry hop for more aroma (worried it will take away from honey), vanilla, no cranberry, etc...
-does this need to be pasteurized to stop fermenting so not to dry the beer out too much? or once chilled this will stop any concerns i would have had?

any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Back