my first mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheech226

Reaction score
i used k1v-1116, 4lbs. honey and 20 oz. of thawed frozen cherries for a 1.25 gal batch. i used go-ferm, yeast energizer and yeast nutrient ( urea and dap) as the package instructions indicated. my og was 1.126 or 30 brix. i pitched the yeast and fermented at ~75°. after 1 day i aerated and added 1/2 dose of energizer and nutes. 3rd day i did the same. after 6 days (today) i'm down to ~1.003 sg. this seems awful fast to me. i removed the nylon mesh bag with the cherries and will let the must clear for 1-2 weeks then rack to the secondary. i tasted a bit from the hydrometer and it wasn't terrible.
the rapid fermentation bugs me. either my temp was too high or i did things right. which is it??

The higher the temperature, the faster the fermentation.

Higher temperatures will also create more esters from the yeast as well as more fusel alcohols.

If temperature is too high you will likely get the hot fusel alcohol taste if you don't have adequate nutrition.

It sounds like the yeast had what they wanted and 75° is a pretty good middle of the road temperature.

The higher the temperature, the faster the fermentation.

Higher temperatures will also create more esters from the yeast as well as more fusel alcohols.

If temperature is too high you will likely get the hot fusel alcohol taste if you don't have adequate nutrition.

It sounds like the yeast had what they wanted and 75° is a pretty good middle of the road temperature.
Does the fusel alcohol taste dissipate after aging? If so, should you age in the fermenter or bottle?

while waiting for my must to clear i'm thinking ahead about racking to a secondary. do y'all advise adding a (k) campden tab to the secondary? and another before bottling?
i snuck out another little taste of my mead. i detected no fusel or other way off tastes.

If I remember correctly, Campden tablets are based on batches that are 5 gallon. You need to reduce the amount appropriately.

this mead turned out very nice. i'm very surprised as i made it before discovering this forum. bottled today and am starting my second batch tomorrow. i'm using bray's recipe for lallemand abbaye yeast mead.
mead.jpg

Back