My first home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zendon71

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch on Thursday August 22nd, a brewers best kit of smoked porter. The brewing went great and it's been in the primary fermenter since. I guess what I'm looking for now is opinions on what to do next. I have a secondary, but I'm reading a lot about people not thinking that is a necessary step. So do I give it more time in the primary and go straight to bottle? Do I secondary it for a short time? When I do bottle. How long do I leave it in bottles before I can drink it?

So many questions , so little patience! Haha

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Give it 2-3 weeks in primary then assuming it's done (using gravity readings) bottle it & let it sit in bottles @ room temp for 2-3 weeks

I'd leave it 3 weeks in the fermentor and skip the secondary. I've usually been leaving mine for 4 weeks if they are a more complex or higher gravity beer.

I'd also leave them for 3 weeks to condition, though, again, I'll leave them for 4 if they are more complex or higher gravity, and sometimes they can use a bit more than that too.

Then 3 days in the fridge to properly carb is recommended, though I like to give mine a full week usually.

I've got to say, do the secondary for THIS ONE REASON: Once you experience secondary beer, you will be able to compare it to your shortcut beer and THEN make the determination for yourself :) *yup*

Although I only ever use secondary with lagers,of which I brew max two per year,I would say cannman has a point.
Try it and make your own mind up,that way you have your own opinion on the issue,based on experience.
Congrats on your first brew

so if I was going to secondary it... do that around the 2 week mark, then leave it in the secondary for 2 weeks, then bottle and let that sit for 2 more?

so if I was going to secondary it... do that around the 2 week mark, then leave it in the secondary for 2 weeks, then bottle and let that sit for 2 more?

You could do it however you'd like... but if you have a recipe, follow that

I'd let it bottle condition for 3 weeks, but otherwise that looks like a nice timeframe.

What's the OG of it? A higher gravity beer may do better with a longer conditioning time, and more so with a more complex beer, which yours sounds like it might be. Time is your friend…

If you'd like to see how it matures put one in the fridge at a more minimal time. Then put another one in the fridge a week later and see if you notice a difference.

If you'd like to see how it matures put one in the fridge at a more minimal time. Then put another one in the fridge a week later and see if you notice a difference.

that's a good idea... if I were to follow the recipe, I would have moved it to the secondary after 4-6 days... that just seemed like way too short of a time...

Those directions are usually a bit too quick though.

If nothing else I'd stick with the minimum general time frame which is 3 weeks ferment/3 weeks conditioning/3 days fridge. Since you want to try a secondary maybe 2 weeks ferment/1 week secondary?

Make sure when you secondary you use a carboy/Better Bottle that will hold that transferred volume as you don't want a lot of headspace as it gives more surface area for oxygen, though I'm not sure if a week or two is a big deal or not.

I'll be doing a secondary with a strong old ale, and since I do not have a proper Better Bottle of this size I will transfer it with a brown sugar solution as though I were bottling so that it will create a little bit of CO2 to help out in the bucket with far too much headspace as it will sit for a couple of months (1-3).

After 4-7 days the bulk of fermentation is usually through, but it's good to leave the beer on the yeast for a little while as it helps to clean up the off flavors it generated. I'm far from being an expert, but I'd think another week ought to do it OK, but there's a reason why 3 weeks is the typical time frame, of which I'm not truly familiar with other than it's just done that way. But I like to give mine 4 weeks usually and with no secondary if it's not necessary (fruit or aging).

I do have a proper carboy, so that should be ok... That all makes sense to me... besides, if I carboy I can start another batch sooner =)

Thanks for the help!!!

:mug:

SWMBO has bought glass rocks to use in her Better Bottles (3 gal) for wine making. Transferring will lose a bit of volume due to trub. But wine sits for about 9 months I think where air contact can be critical. I'm not sure if 1-2 weeks is a big deal or not.

I've got to say, do the secondary for THIS ONE REASON: Once you experience secondary beer, you will be able to compare it to your shortcut beer and THEN make the determination for yourself :) *yup*

I agree. It really only seems like NOT racking to secondary is just a shortcut....aka lazy step. I suppose I want to get the best results out of my product, and wouldn't skip any steps, even if it seems worthless. All my beers turn out great and I rack, so since it works for me, I'm not going to change it... ALSO! This frees up my primary fermenter for a new batch!

"It really only seems like NOT racking to secondary is just a shortcut....aka lazy step."

From what I've read is that there's just really not a point in it unless you are brewing in huge volumes where autolysis is a concern, are doing it to clear a beer, or are using fruits or some such.

Many found it a waste of time and giving a small possibility of infection if something wasn't sanitized well or introducing a bit of oxidation.

I'd hardly call it a thing to skip because one was lazy. I'd think many would take offense to that as well, though I don't as it matters not to me.

The only way he could compare secondary vs non secondary fairly is to brew the same exact beer under the same conditions.

Google secondary vs extended primary and you will see pages of reasons for and against it.

In the end most newer resources agree it is an unnecessary step in the process for most beers. The pro's & con's of using a secondary pale in comparision to other areas of brewing you can control (ie fermentation temps, yeast pitching rate, sanitation)

I'd leave it 3 weeks in the fermentor and skip the secondary. I've usually been leaving mine for 4 weeks if they are a more complex or higher gravity beer.

I'd also leave them for 3 weeks to condition, though, again, I'll leave them for 4 if they are more complex or higher gravity, and sometimes they can use a bit more than that too.

Then 3 days in the fridge to properly carb is recommended, though I like to give mine a full week usually.

Just curious as to what 3 days in the fridge does, never heard that before.

It's how you push carbonation into solution when bottling. It will also help clear your beer when it sits much longer and is basically lagering.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

Where is this quote from? I love it!

A member of this forum. But I found this maybe 2 years ago and likely couldn't find it.

Latest posts

Back