My first hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seedubxj

Reaction score
OG of 1.054. Today, at 7 days in primary, ~1.018. Going to check in 3 days and hope I'm close to the 1.010 I'm wanting.

How does the color look to you guys?

image-1188796525.jpg

OG of 1.054. Today, at 7 days in primary, ~1.018. Going to check in 3 days and hope I'm close to the 1.010 I'm wanting.

How does the color look to you guys?

It looks like your making beer!!! So advice...stop playing with your beer, in general leave it alone for 2 to 3 weeks before you start taking readings. The reason why this is important, is that every time you come in contact with your wort which is converting to beer, you take the chance of foreign invaders screwing up your beer...I know its hard to wait, but you will make better beers if you do!

Color looks about right, but wait 3 more weeks before you bottle it. Even though your FG might be achieved, over the next three weeks your yeast will do all sorts of chemical changes to the beer, ending in what will be a much higher quality product.

People on this forum will argue the pros/cons of Extended Primary VS Secondary Fermentation, but they all agree that a total of 4 weeks Fermentation does magical things to the taste of your beer.

I keep reading about fast fermentation with hefes. So I was naturally curious. I was initially going to move to secondary at 2 weeks. But have decided against it with this style beer. I want to keep the cloudiness associated with the style. So I'll leave it be until I hit 3 weeks and then keg it.

Andrew's 3 more weeks in primary would be good advise for most any other beer, but Hefes are better pretty young, and don't need much conditioning/aging.

For my Hefeweizens, I do two weeks primary then straight to the keg for two weeks to force carb at serving pressure, then I DRINK! Lots of peeps will even keg right after FG is achived, force carb at higher PSI, and enjoy their Hefe TEN days grain to glass.

For this particular style, as soon as you hit your expect FG, you are good to move on to kegging/bottling.

So I took another gravity reading via the spout on my primary which I think lowers the chance of ruining my beer. It went from 1.018 to 1.014. I'm very happy. I will give it another 3 days.

Back