My First Hard Cider/Apple wine Experiments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elgran

Reaction score
So I decided it was time to try my hand at Hard Ciders and Apple wines, the result are these 4 one gallon batches.

**Edit** I forgot to mention that the Apple Wines had an OG of 1.116 and the Hard Ciders where at 1.042

I first started 2 batches on 08/23/13. They were the Apple Wines, I did both Mott's Apple Juice along with 2lbs of sugar each. In the second picture, the first one on the left is using Lalvin EC-1118 on the right is Safale - S04.
both had a tsp of yeast nutrient.

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

Then the very next day I decided to do 2 batches of regular Hard Cider as well on 08/24/13. I also helped a friend make his first mead, he wanted a buckwheat mead so I started him with a gallon.

The middle one is Lalvin - D47 the one on the right is Red Star Premier Cuvee.
Both are Mott's again and both have 1 tsp of yeast nutrient and 1 can of frozen concentrate. The one on the left is the Buckwheat Honey Mead.

IMAG0052.jpg

After 7 Days I racked them over to a Secondary

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

I will age them until just before Halloween and then they are going to a party with me. My question for everyone is what would be a good amount of ground cinnamon to put in a 750ml bottle, I want to make a few bottles with Cinnamon and a few plain.

So I was thinking of adding maybe half a tsp of Cinnamon and half a tsp of Allspice. Does that sound about right to get a nice flavor at bottling, it will be for single bottles. I was thinking maybe for 1 or 2 from each batch. Any suggestions or help would be great.

Ive had the best luck by simmering mulling spice in a small amount of juice then adding that before bottling. For 5 gallons I use 1/4 cup spice in 2 cups of juice. Bring to low boil then simmer for 20m. I have not had good luck with powdered spices in the brew, nor with oils/extracts.

My recommendation would be to use the whole spices infused in a simple syrup or in some juice. Powdered spices don't mix well and will settle out. I've done both and both will work but in my opinion it tastes better infused.

yeah that's what I was guessing on powdered but I figured I would ask first. I had some of this Allspice powder left over from a mead I did a while back and it seemed to work well, and I can grab Cinnamon sticks they are cheap, I also found some cheap Mulling spice. thanks for the suggestion guys, I think I will experiment with 2 or 3 of the bottles and see what works best. They are all experiments anyway haha, but they are tasty already.

I will post some updates and pics after Halloween, once they are all done and a few bottles have been consumed.

So a fast update on how these came out. First off, I left them all still and I liked the result, however I did not spice them this time around like I was planning. I ran out of funds; but such is life.

Let us start with the Hard Ciders first:

The Lalvin - D47 yeast:
It came out with a slight draft style taste to it, but when chilled it also had a nice apple crisp taste at the end, it was a crowd favorite for the hard ciders. This came out at 5.5% ABV.

The Red Star Premier Cuvee:
This Came out with with a more apple juice type taste, but was still really nice in the flavors that told you it was an alcohol. It tasted like drinking apple juice and it went rather fast. This came out at 5% ABV.

Now onto the Apple Wines:

The Safale - S04:
This one came out rather nice, it had a good strong apple flavor. I would use it again but I think I would go for brown sugar or raw sugar next time instead of cane sugar. This came out at 16% ABV.

The Lalvin EC-1118:
This one came out with a prominent apple flavor as well as undertones of other fruity flavors. This was the crowd favorite for the Apple Wines, and I have plans to do a 5 gallon of a Cranberry Apple Wine here in the next few weeks using this yeast. As with the Safale S-04 I think I will use brown sugar or raw sugar this time around. This came out at 18% ABV.

All and all, I liked how they all turned out, and I will be doing the same experiment shortly but in revers. I want to see how the hard cider yeasts work for Apple Wine and how the Apple Wine yeasts work for Hard Cider.

Until next my next Brew have fun Guys and Gals.

Back