My first EVER brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_ale_scale

Reaction score
So I am planning on doing an IPA for my first ever brew, I'm not planning on doing any of those brew kits. Just gonna jump right in with mash and hops, i am looking for any advice and tips. Every little bit is appreciated. thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Start with a tried and true recipe; take your time; try and thoroughly ENJOY your brew day; don't sweat the small stuff.

READ everything you can. Just got batch # 10 into bottles.
1. Everyhting glass is FRAGILE
2. Sanitize everything
3. Control your temps
4. Pitch enough yeast
5. Patience is your friend.
6. Don't drink too many while brewing!
7. & most importantly, enjoy the process

READ everything you can. Just got batch # 10 into bottles.
1. Everyhting glass is FRAGILE
2. Sanitize everything
3. Control your temps
4. Pitch enough yeast
5. Patience is your friend.
6. Don't drink too many while brewing!
7. & most importantly, enjoy the process

Spot on! I'd like to emphasize #3. ALL TEMPS. Even the "cooler" pitching and fermentation temperatures. Don't want to shock your yeast or create off flavors!

:mug: I did first brew last weekend after doing some cider. I did a porter from the local brew store's recipe book. I figured a porter might be more forgiving since the porter flavor can go from mild to wild and still be drinkable. :tank:

Write all the steps out. ALL OF THEM. And include exactly what you will be doing, how much grain/hops you're adding, any water temps, etc. Especially since this is your first brew. I'm almost 30 batches in and I still do that regardless if it's an all grain recipe or a simple kit.

You'll be thankful you have it all written out when you hit some snags along the way and have something written down to reference.

Good luck. I respect your courage.....doing an IPA AND all grain on your first brew! Your certainly not making it easy on yourself. Nice to go through the steps of an extract or an all grain stout/brown when doing your first brew to get a good understanding of the process and minimize errors.

Thank you everyone, some of my ideas for this brew are - golden apples, caramel malts, vanilla and lemon juice notes with maybe florally hops? Ideas? Comments?

Don't knock them kits, OP. ;)

My first ever brew was a Coopers IPA... I cranked it up with a whack of liquid malt extract, crystal and timed hop additions and it turned out to be one of the best west-coast IPAs I've ever had, rivaling many I've bought. Nearly two years later and I hate myself for being too drunk to write down what I did.

Write all the steps out. ALL OF THEM. And include exactly what you will be doing, how much grain/hops you're adding, any water temps, etc. Especially since this is your first brew. I'm almost 30 batches in and I still do that regardless if it's an all grain recipe or a simple kit.

You'll be thankful you have it all written out when you hit some snags along the way and have something written down to reference.

Yes! http://brewersfriend.com has a great portion of the site for this called "Brew Sessions"

So has anyone made or tasted a wheat IPA? Does it work?

So has anyone made or tasted a wheat IPA? Does it work?

There are a lot of commercial, wheat IPAs. I've tried these. The Sierra Nevada is the best IMO but they are all a little light for me. Maybe you can find a clone for one of them?

Deschutes Chainbreaker IPA
Sierra Nevada Snow Wit
Sam Adams Whitewater

Back