my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zstewart123

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
I have been lurking about for a few weeks now learning from others mistakes and just started my first home brew yesterday. It is an American Lager. I made a large starter with the yeast and oddly enough it worked great!! If any of you know me you know that I have tried to make several kinds of breads with yeast and I can never get it to rise, so I was leary of my first yeast experience. So anyways, I was boiling the wort under my patio cover when a big leaf fell in! I quickly removed it and am praying everything will be ok. When I poured the wort into the primary to cool with my immersion cooler i noticed that there were 3-4 Lovebugs in it. I don't know if y'all know what these critters are but they are everywhere down here in La. I removed those as well. Now I have to pray even harder that everything turns out well. Today I took a quick peek into the fermenter and saw one hell of a Krausen!! I am thrilled. The little yeasts are doing their jobs, I just hope that its the yeast I put in and not Mother Nature. I will keep y'all informed of the progress. Thanks for all of the advice so far.

Zak

The bugs probably didn't hurt anything. Good Luck and Happy Brewing.

Consider it added flavor. As much as it's nice to have a perfectly sterile area to brew, a few bugs shouldn't do you too much wrong.

An update on this post. I tasted Zac's first brew the other day. FANTASTIC, particularly for a first effort. I am not a beer brewer but am a pretty decent winemaker. I am definitely getting into beer though after tasting his Lager. Just wanted to throw a post here congratulating his fine first effort.

Dude congratulations on your first brew. I'm stoked for you. My first brew is in the primary fermenter as we speak and I plan on taking a reading tomorrow and moving it to the secondary if it's ready. Hope it turns out as good as yours.

cvav8or

Back