My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, technically not the very first brew. I tried a piece of junk kit in a box from costco once. The beer was week and flat. But it did not spoil me from wanting to try again.

My wife purchased a living social coupon for a Beer-Making Class and Kit from the LHBS. Their class schedule did not mesh well with mine, so I exchanged the value of the class for additional equipment. I came home with their starter kit, and a few upgrades, such as an auto-siphon, a spring loaded bottle filler, and a wine thief. When my wife saw the pile of stuff laid out on the living room floor, she shook her head and said to her self what have I started, what was I thinking?

I also purchased the ingredients for a recipe they had in their book, Old Shadow's Oatmeal Stout. They assured me that it was just as easy to brew as any of the recipe kits they also sell. I was concerned about using oats in an extract + specialty grain brew since I've read mixed things about that. They told me that its just there for flavor, and not to worry about it.

The grains smelled very good. I tasted a pinch. Yum. After the proscribed period of time, I removed the straining bag full of grains and set it in a pot. Later I tasted the little bit of additional liquid that had collected. Very nice flavor. This beer is gonna taste so good. The liquid malt extract was also very yummy. The wife stated that she liked the smell in the house, and even my daughter had to agree. She also said it smelled like someone was baking oatmeal cookies.

My OG was 1.052 after correcting for temperature. Just a touch higher than the recipe called for at 1.050. I noticed that after only a few minutes in the sample container, the wort separated into two layers with lots of suspended solids on the bottom.

My son wanted to taste the wort. He liked it.

I just finished cleaning up the kitchen, and am staring at my fermenter while I type this. I know its too soon for any sign of CO2 bubbles yet, but I can't stop watching it.

I'll post updates to this thread on bottling day and upon first tasting.

Thanks to the webmasters for providing such a great resource. I spent hours and hours reading before I started my first brew.

you need to get a beginners brew book. if i were you, i wouldn't brew again until i read a beginners book in full. you will make better beer if you do.

Welcome to the obsession! I have my fermenter/storage stand to the right of the computer in the extra little parlor colonial homes have. Sort of a make shift man cave. We have 2-6 gallon batches of ale brewing at the moment. So I can watch'em & type at the same time!

you need to get a beginners brew book. if i were you, i wouldn't brew again until i read a beginners book in full. you will make better beer if you do.

Good advice.

I do have one, and several more on the way. Have also read Palmer's online book several times from front to back.

Anything in particular from my narrative that causes you concern?

It's obvious to me that he didn't read the last line of your post...!!
The only thing that I see is that you didn't rinse (sparge) the grains with a little hot water when you took them out. You want all that sugary goodness in your wort. Otherwise,it looks good!

"Anything in particular from my narrative that causes you concern?"

i believe i misread your first post and thought you expected there to be bubbling immediately. i that lead me to believe that you were brewing based just on knowledge you read in this forum. my mistake.

if you read palmers book online then you should be set for beginner lever brewing. you will know when it is time to read more advanced books.

Cool! Just keep an eye on it,as you may see a re-make of The Blob coming out of your airlock to punish you for not using a blow off. haha...

The only thing that I see is that you didn't rinse (sparge) the grains with a little hot water when you took them out. You want all that sugary goodness in your wort. Otherwise,it looks good!

Do you always sparge the grains when doing extract plus steeping? I've never done that. I just soak my specialty grains at 155 for 30 minutes, take them out, and tea bag a little, allowing any water absorbed from the grains to drip back into the pot. I've always done this, so hopefully I haven't been doing it wrong lol.

Do you always sparge the grains when doing extract plus steeping? I've never done that. I just soak my specialty grains at 155 for 30 minutes, take them out, and tea bag a little, allowing any water absorbed from the grains to drip back into the pot. I've always done this, so hopefully I haven't been doing it wrong lol.

Good questions as I have never sparged my steeping grains either.

We did,just making sure I get all I intended too from them. I just thought it was a good habit to get into,since all the amounts of anything added is calculated.

+1 to this. At least place your grain bag in a strainer and pour some 170f water over it to rinse some of the sugars off of the grains. I've also heard of letting them sit in 170f water for 10 mins after your initial steep to help rinse the sugars off the grains (haven't tried this method yet though).

That's what we did. Place the grain bag in a fine mesh strainer,then sparge with 170F water. Maybe a quart or so,not very much,& pour slowly.

For some reason, I thought I'd try to sniff the odors coming out of the airlock. Pleasant, but unexpected.... definitely a hint of banana. This is so much fun!

I told several co-workers what I did this weekend. Turns out I have several co-workers who are or were homebrewers. One told me he has a shirt that says, "You know you're a homebrewer when 5 gallons of beer does not sound like a lot."

I spent my lunch hour browsing for what recipe I want to try next. Probably something that the wife would enjoy with me. Maybe a blue moon tribute or similarly light.

Cool! Just keep an eye on it,as you may see a re-make of The Blob coming out of your airlock to punish you for not using a blow off. haha...

The rate of bubbles is about one a second, nice and clear, no trace of the blob. It is a 6 US gal bucket with only 5 gal of wort, that should be enough space, no? I put down a plastic garbage bag to protect the floor just in case.

The rate of bubbles is about one a second, nice and clear, no trace of the blob. It is a 6 US gal bucket with only 5 gal of wort, that should be enough space, no? I put down a plastic garbage bag to protect the floor just in case.

The rate of bubbles coming out will vary with amounts and types of sugars in the wort and more importantly, the strain of yeast. It is not a good indicator of anything TBH. I have done light Hefes that bubble and foam up like crazy, and a pretty strong doppelbock I poked at with a stick to see if it was alive (coming out fine in the end of course)

The rate of bubbles coming out will vary with amounts and types of sugars in the wort and more importantly, the strain of yeast. It is not a good indicator of anything TBH. I have done light Hefes that bubble and foam up like crazy, and a pretty strong doppelbock I poked at with a stick to see if it was alive (coming out fine in the end of course)

I'm not concerned about how the beer will come out, everything I've read says not to worry. I'm was just answering the previous reply about a foam over. I don't think I need to worry at this point, nice and steady so far.

I'm not concerned about how the beer will come out, everything I've read says not to worry. I'm was just answering the previous reply about a foam over. I don't think I need to worry at this point, nice and steady so far.

Ahh gotcha, and for advice, I always put on a blow off tube for the first 3 days to avoid foam overs, sometimes a real active batch will still come out the tube, but much easier clean up than foaming out the airlock

Airlock activity has dropped off substantially, only one bubble a minute. By shining a flashlight through the pail, I can see that the krausen layer has gone down too. Perhaps this weekend I will check the gravity.

The smell is amazing. Hints of vanilla and banana.

I wish the hole/grommet was bigger on this ale pail so that I could use my wine thief rather than taking the whole lid off just to take a sample.

sounds like everything is moving right along. my advice... get another batch going right away. the first one isn't going to last long!

cheers!

Looks great! I would suggest using a blowoff tube for future batches as well though. Tough lesson learned after coming home to what must have been an amazing show of a krausen fountain spraying from the top of the bubbler until the top of the 6.5g bucket blew off lol.

Enjoy the hobby, you'll get to love the looks on peoples faces as they say... "you made this? "

Airlock activity has dropped off substantially, only one bubble a minute. By shining a flashlight through the pail, I can see that the krausen layer has gone down too. Perhaps this weekend I will check the gravity.

Airlock activity has stopped completely. Wondering what the gravity is at, wishing it was not so hard to check it. I think I need a refractometer so I can check it by pulling a couple of drops with a pipette via the airlock hole.

I am still planning to open the lid and pull a sample this weekend. Hoping that I don't find that I have a stalled fermentation. Hopefully, I'll find a number down near what the recipe called for and then I can relax until it's bottling time.

RDWHAHB does not work when it's your first batch.... best I can do is open an Ninkasi Oatis.

Good choice on consolation beer! I love Oatis. Also, be aware that a refractometer is less-than-infallible once alcohol is present. There are spreadsheets to try to account for the alcohol content, but they are rumored to be skewed, from what I read. Honestly, there is probably no problem opening it up. Once there is alcohol present, it is difficult for anything nasty to take hold. Just don't keep it open longer than necessary to get a thief-full.

I like to be thorough & sparge them. Just because they are allowed to drain (grain bag),doesn't mean they'll drain completely. They won't. Just do what you have to to get a hydrometer sample. I trust them more than some fancy gadget that has proven not to be 100% reliable.

I am still planning to open the lid and pull a sample this weekend. Hoping that I don't find that I have a stalled fermentation. Hopefully, I'll find a number down near what the recipe called for and then I can relax until it's bottling time.

Checked the gravity one day early. Now I can relax and wait. It is already at the FG that the recipe called for, 1.014

So this fermentation started right when it should have, within 24 hours, and finished its vigorous phase in just over 2 days, quicker than called for. The temperature has been between 65F - 68F, so I don't think I have anything to worry about though.

Now to see how much patience I have before racking it and starting the next brew.

Today was bottling day. Filled 23 - 22oz bottles. The yeast cake was almost up to the 1/2 gallon mark. Lovely stuff. Felt bad pouring it down the drain.

In the future you can save the stuff and re-use it. Doesn't make that much sense with dry yeast, but if you're using liquid you can definitely wash the yeast and re-use.
Also, if you are making a second batch that uses the same yeast strain, you can pour the wort right on top of the existing yeast cake. (Make sure that it's in pitching temp - about 70F, and try to wipe some of the krousen ring off the inside of the fermenter with a clean cloth or paper towel damp with star-san)

Welcome to the hobby!

Back