My first beer (2 years later)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddemaagd

Reaction score
So i brewed my first beer about two years ago. It was an amber ale from a kit, that i brewed and bottled with seemingly few mistakes. The beer had a nasty almost metallic taste when i tried it weeks after bottling. A few months later, still gross. A year later, still bad. A year and a half later, sick!

Today, i had overcarbed a beer i kegged a couple of weeks ago, and after a good stir after pouring the beer, it was delicious. Before stirring, it tasted much like my very first brew. So maybe i should stir my first brew...

So this evening i take out the ole bottles resting in the basement (about 35 of them) and put a few in the fridge. After they were cooled i poured one, gave it a big stir (with many bubbles rising to the surface), and tried it. ITS GOOD!!!! I couldn't believe it. I'm about to taste my third

i never would have waited that long. well, if i had about ten batches going then i would. :tank:

i just thought the batch was a goner. i never realized a simple stir would make the beer taste SOOOO much better. it really wasnt' drinkable before that.

Overcarbonation can definitely cause a metallic taste. I don't know why, but I've heard it from many sources, and even noticed it in a kit stout a friend of mine did.

yeah, carbonation +/- throws off the flavor of beer for me personally. I dont know that it's metallic but it definately changes.

Interesting. I haven't had any metallic tastes in bottled beers, but the Mrs. and I accidentally killed a Boston Lager clone (done with ale yeast), and it developed a RANCID taste after a couple weeks. It was passible for a while, but then it got hideous - like someone put a couple rank pennies in your glass when your weren't looking. That's what we get for racking off without seeing that it was cascading to the bottom of the keg, and not filling from the bottom...

Back