My first batch - simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrysarms

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed my first batch - a simcoe IPA kit from midwest supplies. I brewed 5.5 gal in a 8 gal pot outside My target SG was 1.065, however my actual SG was 1.053. I am chalking this up to the fact that I had to top off almost 1 gal of water and I may not have mixed it up well enough before taking a reading?

It has been fermenting at 75 degrees for 8 days. There was a vigorous fermentation the first 3 days then it slowed from there. After the eighth day (today) I racked it to a secondary. I didnt take any readings because I dont have a beer thief and I ddint want to be too daring. Anyway, I didnt see any bubbles (even though that doesnt give a clear picture of what is actally going on), so I racked it to a secondary. Thoughts on that? I know a little more time couldnt hurt...

I plan on leaving it in the secondary for two weeks before bottling. I am contemplating going out a getting some hop leaves to dry hop with during the last week in the secondary, but it didnt call for it so I am still debating...

Ive been reading a lot so I have a little bit of knowledge, now its time to experience it!

any thoughts on the quick primary stage or dry hopping? Im not too worried about the below target SG as I have read its very difficult to miss this with the kits, but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance for all the advice!!!

I used 3 oz of Simcoe
.5 oz @ 60 min
.5 oz @ 40 min
1 oz @ 20 min
1 oz @ 2 min

6 lb. Amber LME,
1 lb. Light DME
16 oz. Crystal 50-60L
8 oz. Carapils
8 oz. Munich 10L specialty grains

Back