My first bad batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintdanmic

Reaction score
I brewed an Oktoberfest partial mash kit from Midwest in February. (Febtoberfest?) When I bottled it 3 weeks ago, I sampled it and got a weird flavor. I just assumed it was green and went on bottling hoping for it to mellow out. This last weekend I opened a bottle and that flavor was still there, and just as strong.

I can only describe it as the flavor that would be associated with the smell of lawn fertilizer when you walk into a hardware store. Is that the bandaid flavor people talk about, or something different?

I don't use bleach to sanitize. I use LD Carlson's Easy Clean. So the only thing I can think of is that it some how got infected. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

P.S. I have a huge bottle of 5-star which I will now be using, since so many others have praised it as the best.

Fertilizer? Hmmm.

Did it smell and taste okay when you were fermenting it? Did it look okay (no weird looking stuff floating on top or anything like that)?

The only thing I can say is your beer is not that old yet. Put it away in a dark, cool corner for 2 or 3 months and then try it again.

McCall St. Brewer said:
Put it away in a dark, cool corner for 2 or 3 months and then try it again.

I'd let it sit for a few months. At least 2-3 months. Lager it in the fridge or a cool spot your garage until April. Then move it to the basement as soon as it gets warm or just put it there now and forget about it for a bit.

If you used lager yeast it will need to age a little bit or hence the word Lager.

Are you a Jarhead?

would need a full recipe to really be able to comment.

however, Star san is the schiz-nit.

The cleaner you mention is a “bleach based” cleaner only and not a sanitizer. It requires a thorough rinse. Everything that touches the beer after the boil has to be sanitized too. This includes the bottles and caps. The Starsan is great and as long as you use it properly you will not experience an infection again if that is what it is. Do not let this discourage you, your next beer will be great

Latest posts

Back