My First All Grain Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psotos

Reaction score
Can someone help me decipher this into beginner's speak? :ban:

I dont know what AAU's are. What does this translate to in oz? Should I get a scale to figure this out or just cut the hops up into equal parts? No idea.

2014-07-25 18.20.31.jpg

2014-07-25 18.20.07.jpg

2014-07-25 18.20.12.jpg

AAU = Alpha Acid Unit

This is the formula AAU = Weight (oz) * % Alpha Acids (whole number)

The reason the recipe words itself that way is because many hop varieties have varying amounts of Alpha Acids based upon where they were grown, age, etc...

The recipe tells you that to get 11.2 AAU of Warrior you need to use .70 oz or 20 grams of Warrior hops that have 16% alpha acid.

Alpha Acids are listed on the hop package.

Just food for thought... this would be a very ambitious first all grain attempt in my opinion. I would consider a brew with a more straight forward hop schedule. You will be learning and attempting enough new things going all grain. Not sure figuring out the rhythm of a continuous hop schedule will help your first all grain day.

Does continuous hopping mean simply putting in hops in regular schedules or does it mean literally like every few seconds more hops go in?

It seems to say every 10 minutes or so put more hops in or am I reading this wrong? :D

For what it is worth, A word of advise from someone that starting all grain couple of years ago, 1. Get Palmer's book and read about process and proceedures. 2. Start simple, I would suggest a SMASH recipes, Single malt / Single hop, simple Temperature mash, simple bowl and hops additions. Develop a process as with all grain, it gets busy and overwelming. If you get in over your head, this is not going to be a good experience and your results won't be a good learning experience. Good luck, a lot of us have been there, But a lot of people get bumbed out and quit.

That is good advice! I already bough the grains and stuff though so here goes nothing... LOL

I will read Palmers book though. I watched some videos with him on Northern Brewers site. Super informative.

Back