My First All-Grain, 1Gal Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavyMarine1978

Reaction score
I just put together my first all-grain, 1 gallon batch. It is an Oatmeal Stout. I made a mistake and pitched my yeast at 62 degrees believing the reading to be at 32 degrees. I figured this out when I watched my yeast fall to the bottom of the glass dish with a cup of wort in it to hydrate it. I had never experienced the yeast doing that before. Every other time, I sprinkled the surface and 10mins later, it would be foamy with some remaining on the bottom. This time, all the yeast remained on the bottom and nothing floated and there was no foam. At that point, I took a temp reading and realized that the temp was still in the 40's. I dumped this back into the rest of the wort and put it into the fermenter. It has been in the fermenter with a blow-off tube since last night at 9pm and no sign of the yeast doing anything. Instead, the yeast is cover under a thick layer of sediment. I have another packet of yeast, should I re-pitch the yeast of can the old yeast survive that sort of extreme temp and how long should I wait?

It is an Ale yeast. The brand names are Danstar and Lallemand Inc. and its called Nottingham Ale Yeast. The package says to add the yeast to a 100ml of water at 30-32 degrees Celsius or 86-92 degrees Farenheit.

I decided to pitch the new packet of yeast instead of waiting the 3 days to see what happens. I just hope that it will turn out. What happens if the wort is not brought down in temp quick enough?

you're perfectly fine.
i'm slightly confused though.
You pitched the yeast at 32 degrees F? (so, at freezing temps?). Ale yeast needs to be in the high 60s for it to work.
raise the temperature of the fermentation vessel.

You are talking to a Canadian in Nova Scotia ;)

62 Celsius = 144 F
32 Celsius = 89 F

You are talking to a Canadian in Nova Scotia ;)

Just caught that on the rebound!! I must say, can't we all just use the same system.. I am definitely in for the metric system. It's so much easier.

as for the wort (are you talking after boil, or for the starter?), it can grow unwanted bacteria or get contaminated.

I was referring to the temp of the wort before I pitched the yeast which was hydrating in a cup of wort at the same temp. The beer sat with that yeast overnight in the fermenter sealed up. The wort had sat on the counter in a pot with a lid for about an hour with the old yeast already pitched while I drove in to town to get more yeast. I put the wort into the fermenter and waited until this morning to reopen the fermenter and pitch the fresh yeast.

So far, I have a very active ferment going on. So much so that foam is coming up the blow-off tube and the beer itself is churning below the thick foam.

Back