My fermentation got really hot. How to fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skuhn2004

Reaction score
I am doing a simple SMaSH using Nottingham yeast. The OG was 1.058. The first packet didn't take off after 24 hours so I took about a pint of slurry from a previous batch that went to secondary. After that it took off in about an hour.

So far so good.

After it took off I put it in my fermentation fridge with a STC-1000 controller and shut the door. Or so I thought, when I checked on it this morning the door was ajar and the temp is around 80F. The garage smells like rotten ass bread.

My fermentation has only been going strong for about 12 hours but I'm pretty sure I've got off flavors.

I've been doing this same recipe over and over trying to get my all grain proces nailed down. I have been getting great beers that are ready to keg at day 8-9. I'm pretty sure I can clean some of the mess I've made with a longer ferment but I'm not sure how I should proceed.

Here is what I have been doing.
1. 5-7 days in the ferm chamber(it's small and I can only do 1 bucket at a time).
2. Whenever I make the next batch it comes out and sits in my closet for a few days. That has been around 68-72 until now. We are getting 100 degree days and I will be using a swamp cooler in the closet the rest of the summer.
3. When the current keg is running low I rack over gelatin in my better bottle
4. Usually clears up in 24 hours and I keg it.

Should I give it an extra week or so on the yeast cake? Add a long secondary? Just drink a keg of butter flavored beer?

notty yeast at that temp is probably going to be bad. Never fermented with that yeast above 65* so idk what kinda off flavors you get but i know anything above 70 with it is bad.

If it got that hot that soon in fermentation there is a good chance that you got some fusels. Unfortunately fusel alcohol does not age out. It will taste hot and also gives you a nice headache.

Ask me how I know this.....

Back