My Favorite Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Powers

Reaction score
Just thought I would throw out this all-grain recipe that I really love. It is a modification of the Ram Brewery's Total Disorder Porter. I prefer these hop varieties to the ones that they use, however.

7.5 pounds Beeson's Pale Malt
1 pound Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
1 pound Chocolate Malt (350 SRM)
.33 pounds German Wheat Malt
.33 ounces Centennial Hops (60 min)
1 teaspoon Irish Moss (20 min)
1 ounce Willamette Hops (15 min)
.25 ounces Centennial Hops (3 min)
1 ounce Willamette Hops (3 min)
1 vial White Labs English Ale Yeast

Mash Schedule
153 degrees for 60 minutes
168 degrees for 10 minutes

Try to accomplish at least a 45 minute sparge.

I think it turned out great. its been 8 years since i posted this recipe though. LOL

The recipe is actually still a favorite of guests when I do brew it, although i brew a lot more IPA's these days. Even though it has been 8 years, I haven't really modified that porter recipe.

Let me know how you like it if you make it sometime.

Hey Ken, quick question. First off, let me say i am very new to brewing, this was my first batch. Me and a buddy made it (who is also new but has a few batches under his belt). I am sure we messed something up somewhere, but it looks great so far and is fermenting well.

1. How long do you let this ferment? My buddy was thinking 2 weeks in primary, 2 (maybe 1) in a secondary then bottle. Not sure if this is way off or not, but thought i would ask

2. do you need to let this brew age after bottling?

BTW, I lived in Tacoma for 15 years! Went to the ram all the time and gotta say this was one of my all time FAVORITE beers period (although a few years back they did a limited seasonal run of a hazelnut porter that was really awesome too). Thanks for your help! :mug:

I usually only keep it in the primary for a week (or until initial fermentation slows) then I transfer to the secondary where it stays for at least 2 weeks or so (fermentation has finished, etc...) then I transfer to kegs where I force carbonate. I don't usually mess with aging this one though.

Best of luck!

Hey Ken, quick question. First off, let me say i am very new to brewing, this was my first batch. Me and a buddy made it (who is also new but has a few batches under his belt). I am sure we messed something up somewhere, but it looks great so far and is fermenting well.

1. How long do you let this ferment? My buddy was thinking 2 weeks in primary, 2 (maybe 1) in a secondary then bottle. Not sure if this is way off or not, but thought i would ask

2. do you need to let this brew age after bottling?

BTW, I lived in Tacoma for 15 years! Went to the ram all the time and gotta say this was one of my all time FAVORITE beers period (although a few years back they did a limited seasonal run of a hazelnut porter that was really awesome too). Thanks for your help! :mug:

I go through Tacoma a couple times a year. Is this place still around and is this Porter (Disorder Porter, sweet name), still available?

I go through Tacoma a couple times a year. Is this place still around and is this Porter (Disorder Porter, sweet name), still available?

There are actually QUITE a few of them around. Check it out: http://www.theram.com/ram-locations/

But yes, they are still around and the total disorder porter is still there. All their beers are pretty good, but this one is my fave! Good food too!

Yeah I was going to say that the Ram Brewery in Puyallap was where we would go for Total Disorder Porter. I always liked the food there too. If you are driving through Tacoma I also highly recommend stopping downtown at the Harmon for their beers. Mighty fine brews and great food. I should know, my son attends Pacific Lutheran University in Parkland. Ken if you want to mentor an apprentice brewer, contact my son Randall. He's 300 lbs. of joy! I've also got some good IPA recipes to share too. I adore your HERMS system too.

Yeah I was going to say that the Ram Brewery in Puyallap was where we would go for Total Disorder Porter. I always liked the food there too. If you are driving through Tacoma I also highly recommend stopping downtown at the Harmon for their beers. Mighty fine brews and great food. I should know, my son attends Pacific Lutheran University in Parkland. Ken if you want to mentor an apprentice brewer, contact my son Randall. He's 300 lbs. of joy! I've also got some good IPA recipes to share too. I adore your HERMS system too.

totally agree with the harmon! Great brews! i used ti live about 10 min from PLU! Love the area!

Just thought I would throw out this all-grain recipe that I really love. It is a modification of the Ram Brewery's Total Disorder Porter. I prefer these hop varieties to the ones that they use, however.

7.5 pounds Beeson's Pale Malt
1 pound Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
1 pound Chocolate Malt (350 SRM)
.33 pounds German Wheat Malt
.33 ounces Centennial Hops (60 min)
1 teaspoon Irish Moss (20 min)
1 ounce Willamette Hops (15 min)
.25 ounces Centennial Hops (3 min)
1 ounce Willamette Hops (3 min)
1 vial White Labs English Ale Yeast

Mash Schedule
153 degrees for 60 minutes
168 degrees for 10 minutes

Try to accomplish at least a 45 minute sparge.

Transferred to secondary this weekend and had a little taste! What an awesome brew. We did make a few hops additions, but i think it came out great! Added some cocoa nibs and coffee to the secondary and i cant wait to see how it came out.

I do have one question more on the recipe. we were a little confused when we brewed this on the mash and sparge schedule. We just fly sparged with 200 degree water until we got the desired amount of wort in the kettle.

on the recipe, the temp readings on the mash schedule are the temps that you want for the actual mash? How do you heat up the mash without adding more water or am i just confused here?

Also, i would assume that the recipe was actually a batch sparge and you just let that sit for 45min?

Again, i am pretty new to this sorry if these are dumb questions.

Back