My exotic BIAB/ RIMS brewing system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gthurner

Reaction score
The brewing system consists of a 100L stainless steel pot, a stainless steel wire mash basket, a recirculating pump for circulation and a gas burner for heating the mash and boiling the wort.
The technical term for this type of system is RIMS (Recirculating Infusion Mash System). This means that during mashing, the low-viscosity wort outside the mash basket is fed by a pump to the highviscosity wort in the filter basket. This results in a continuous filtering process as well as temperature mixing.
The plant stands on a mobile base and is thus movable.
The brewing plant is operated both inside the brewhouse and outside on the terrace.
A hoist is required to lift the filter basket.
When operating outdoors, this is attached to plug-in scaffold poles.
The gas burner is converted so that it can be operated either manually or automatically. For automatic operation, a control unit with the appropriate software is used. The software was created with Excel VBA 2003. It is also possible to control and monitor the brewing process via a smartphone.
Meine Anlage.png

I'm sorry to be that guy but your system is a Recirculating Mash System, a RIMS would heat the wort inside a tube hence the term infusion.
The advantage of your system is that there is less chance of burning the mash.

I'm sorry to be that guy but your system is a Recirculating Mash System, a RIMS would heat the wort inside a tube hence the term infusion.
The advantage of your system is that there is less chance of burning the mash.
RIMS stands for Recirculating Infusion Mash System. I don't see anything in there about having to have the heater in a separate tube. The OP's system is often referred to as a "Kettle RIMS" to make it explicit how the heating is done.

Brew on :mug:

I don't consider Brad Smith the final authority on anything other than the operation of BeerSmith. It's easy to find more inclusive definitions of RIMS - here's one:

https://www.homebrewhappyhour.com/rims-herms-systems-explained-compared/
"RIMS is an acronym for “Recirculating Infusion Mash System” and HERMS is an acronym for “Heat Exchange Recirculating Mash System”. So now you completely understand, right? No? OK! No problem, I will explain further.
First let’s talk about the similarities.
Both systems:
  • Recirculate wort using a pump
  • Incorporate a heat source to heat wort.
  • Continuously pull wort out of your mash tun and put it back in at a slightly warmer temperature so you maintain a constant temperature during your mash (with an exception noted under RIMS below.
So, what’s the difference?
  • HERMS – Uses a HLT (hot liquor tank), which is normally another kettle with a coil inside that has an outlet and an inlet. You heat up the water in the HLT, have the wort flow out of the mash tun (fancy name for another kettle), into the coil in the HLT and then back into the mash tun (recirculating). This coil is sitting in a hot water bath inside the HLT and this warms the wort up before returning it to the mash tun. If you currently brew you have likely used a wort chiller. Think of this as a wort chiller in reverse. They function the same way except instead of putting the cooled wort into a fermenter you are returning heated wort back into the mash tun in a continuous recirculation.
  • RIMS – Uses a heating element that comes directly in contact with the wort. You are bringing wort out of the mash tun, running it directly over a heating element and returning it to the mash tun (just as you do with a HERMS system).
    • There is another way to create a RIMS system. You can apply direct heat to the bottom of your kettle and circulate your wort rapidly to keep it from scorching. This is how many of the the new “all in one” five-gallon semi-automated systems work. Examples would be the Grain Father, Anvil Foundry, and Robobrew"
Emphasis added to quote.

Point taken except that Grain Father and Anvil do not call their systems RIMS. Since I'm older, it took me many years to accept the term "Classic Rock".

I don't believe that the OP's system is a Kettle RIMS system, the pot on the side does not appear to be a dedicated boil kettle.
What is a K-RIMS (Kettle RIMS)?

Last edited:
Point taken except that Grain Father and Anvil do not call their systems RIMS. Since I'm older, it took me many years to accept the term "Classic Rock".

I don't believe that the OP's system is a Kettle RIMS system, the pot on the side does not appear to be a dedicated boil kettle.
What is a K-RIMS (Kettle RIMS)?
Bobby is talking about a 2-vessel kettle RIMS, but OP is running a 1-vessel kettle RIMS, since they are mashing in the BK (BIAB.) OP is applying heat to the BK as in Bobby's definition of kettle RIMS.

Bobby is talking about a 2-vessel kettle RIMS, but OP is running a 1-vessel kettle RIMS, since they are mashing in the BK (BIAB.) OP is applying heat to the BK as in Bobby's definition of kettle RIMS.

By Bobby's definition a kettle RIMS is a 2 vessel system. " A kettle RIMS is a 2-vessel system that uses a dedicated Mash/Lauter tun and a dedicated Boil kettle. "
I guess we will need to agree to disagree.

Back