My electric HERMS system (yet another kal clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuttheheeck

Reaction score
Took me a few months to get everything acquired here. Ive made several bathes with it, and have been making continuous upgrades since.

Starting from the outlet...

I am pulling 30amps from a dryer plug, I re-configured a 50a spa GFI as an inline device, with potential to have 50am in the future. The control box has 1 standard PID and one Ramp/Soak one for automatic step mashing. A timer sits between them and can turn elements on or off as desired.

I wont go to in to detail on the control box as it is very identical to Kal's. However recently I added a 120v to 12v phone block to provide 12v to the float switch that sits in MT. The float switch triggers an SSR that goes to the water pump.

HLT
25' 1/2 copper coil with brass valves and fittings. (for future upgrades S.S. $$)
5500 High density element
12vdc pump attaches with camlock fittings at valve for recirculation and agitation of hlt. also used for sparge.
Polycarbonate sight tube attached with compression fititngs (surprised this worked actually)
digital and analog thermometers. XLR connections

Mash tun
acquired legally
False bottom from Jaybird arrived today 15" with the stand, can't wait to test it out!!
Temperature sensor at wort return

Boil Kettle
4500w 220v element
recently built whirlpool arm, haven't tried it yet. wanted the wort return at the top so i didn't need a valve.
digital and analog thermometers

8" vortex fan and ducting with DIY vent hood pump steam out the window so i brew in the garage. Keeps quiet toasty even in winter :)

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

Careful with the pump cover - it may be the angle of the picture, but it looks fairly snug on the pump. I would leave more room for air to circulate (if it gets warm).

Kal

Back