My double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boil for 45 min. Then add 1 tsp of Irish moss, 1 oz summit, 1 oz nugget for 1 min boil. Flame out add 3.5 lbs extract, cool down to 68* or less and add yeast oh and 2 gallons water to bring to 5 gallons. Add 1 oz nugget after 10 days!!!!!!!

That's warm even for 001 my "house" yeast, if I'm reading that right at 74-76 deg. Id cool it down to calm the esters and off flavors.

Still prob to "hot" for 001 I keep mine in my basement at 60 and it ramps up to 66 max. Put a wet shirt on it with a fan blowing on it and that shoukd cool it down. U want 001 in the max 68-70 deg range before u get the fussely alcohols

I'd also add a lot more hops....double IPA should start at 10 ounces for 5 gallons in my opinion.

Mind sharing the full recipe? I guess that's a 3 gallon batch? 7LBs extract wouldn't make a DIPA in a 5 gallon batch.

Personally, I don't think I'd ever brew a DIPA at a 3 gallon batch size. I'm drinking my way through a DIPA right now that came out decent but after loss to hops I only got 4 gallons into bottles. And it was a stressful brew, because I used a couple ounces of whole leaf when I couldn't find simcoe in pellets...what a mess. Pellets rule.

Also, I assume you don't keep your beers uncovered by a window to ferment, right? That's just for the pics?

Back