My DIY wort chiller... How'd I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakotabear

Reaction score
Poked around here, and decided to build over buy.

Had a 10% off Home Depot coupon, so I picked up a 50' coil of tubing. I didn't have anything the right size to coil around, so I did it by hand. An hour later, with throbbing hands, I was done.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5828/photoxkp.jpg

I boiled it with vinegar for an hour, scrubbed it down. Then I ran warm soapy water through it... Found no leaks.

I did a test boil, and it cooled the water from boiling to 70º in about 8 mins. My faucet water temp is 55º.

Not the prettiest thing... I may add some elbows later, but how is it functionally? What can I do to improve? Thanks.

The only immediate suggestion I would have would be to bend the ends downward slightly so that in the unlikely even of a leak at the hose clamps the water would tend to run away from the kettle. As it is a leak would tend to follow the copper down into the kettle.

Here is mine:

IMG_3237.JPG

The only immediate suggestion I would have would be to bend the ends downward slightly so that in the unlikely even of a leak at the hose clamps the water would tend to run away from the kettle.
Excellent point. It's a little more horizontal than the picture looks. I will try to bend it down a little more.

Very nice, what was the total cost?

$37 - 50' 3/8 OD Copper Tubing
$07 - 25' 5/8 OD Woven Food Grade Tubing
$04 - Hose Connecter w/ Hose Barb.
$00 - 3 Stainless Hose Clamps (I had these on hand)
---------------------------
$48 - Total... Thats less than 1/2 the price of 50' commercial ones.

Is 210ish to 70 in 8 mins a good time?

yeah props on doing it by hand, must have been at PITA keeping them as straight as you did.

yeah props on doing it by hand, must have been at PITA keeping them as straight as you did.

It was not nearly as bad as I thought... after I made the initial bottom loop, I was able to hold onto that to form the subsequent loops going up. I thought it would be a mangled mess, but the outer loop looks very uniform (moreso then some of the ones I saw at my LHBS)... the inner coil not so much, because I couldn't get my hands in there very easily.

I think the inner coil helps the cooling efficiency. I'm glad I did that over an elbow.

just brewed my second batch. made a homemade wort chiller. hooked up a pump to it and pumped ice water through it. from 212deg to 70deg in 15 minutes. very pleased!

Back