my copy-cat trellis...thanks ander_j

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred_zepp

Reaction score
so i finally got around to building my hop trellis. after lots of mulling over ideas, i decided to build one like ander's 'cause i was able to scrounge all of the pipe from a junk pile and only have to buy cable, hardware and string. that said, i spent around $160.

i change a few things, like adding a third upright in the middle since i had such a long span. also, my poles in the ground are about three feet above ground (didn't feel like losing anymore height, so the upright portions actually sit about ground level). my uprigts are 14' tall and 7' wide and total span is 77' long. i used normal fence stakes and a u-bolt on the end to hold the turnbuckle/guywires in place.

i used 1/8" cable since that was the only size that the hardware store had enough of (375 feet!!!)

there's a few things i feel that i did wrong, like not put the anchors/guy wires further out...they pull down, but not "outward" enough. oh well, i had limited space on either end and it still works fine. here's the pix:

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0217.jpg

Are those POWER lines on that wooden pole? How in the hell do you plan to keep the hop vines from growing up that pole when they reach the top of their lines and continuing to the power lines? Looks like a great design and build, just not the smartest execution (no pun on that). I am thinking they should have been moved away from the power line a bit more.

yeah, power lines. but there's no need to worry dude. they're at least 10' above the top of trellis, and i have a pole saw. they are intentionally close to the house to provide a bit of shade during the summer - a little passive cooling if you will.

sweet, it looks great. Bummer that cable is not so cheap eh? No problem though, that SOB will last for years and no oppressive 4X4 s looming over your head

thanks guys. i have to admit... i was a little sketched out when i first built it, but it is amazingly strong.

and no, cable ain't cheap. the best i could do was $0.18/ft... and that was down the street at the local hardware store. i also found tysal twine. 7000' box for $35 (comes out to 0.5c per foot) i guess im set for the next ten years or so...

Sweet mother... awesome set up.

But.. I gotta ask... What.. in the hell... are you gonna do with all of those hops!?!

You've got how many lines set up? I can't tell from the picture but it looks like something like 24. That is an absolutely BUTTLOAD of hops!! You're gonna be able to supply everyone you know with all they hops they want... forever.

Which is obviously not a BAD thing... I'm just curious if you had other plans or something.

Sweet mother... awesome set up.

But.. I gotta ask... What.. in the hell... are you gonna do with all of those hops!?!

make beer dude!!! what else? and what i don't use...maybe trade w/ folks for other stuff i can use.

You've got how many lines set up? I can't tell from the picture but it looks like something like 24. That is an absolutely BUTTLOAD of hops!! You're gonna be able to supply everyone you know with all they hops they want... forever.

That's the thought...and actually its twenty five.

Which is obviously not a BAD thing... I'm just curious if you had other plans or something.

Maybe i do....hehehe

can one have too many hops??? i guess i sorta went a little over board, but after having a crappy 1st year with hops (and moving) i decided i was gonna plant at least two of every variety that i wanted (and could get my hands on) to ensure that i had a better turn out. plus i wanted some shade for the house and back yard in the summer months.

so i've got:

cascade x5
willamette x5
brewer's gold x3
kent goldings x3
centennial x2
chinook x4
magnum x2
zeus x2

my first year is still kinda weak... i think the tallest plant is about 7 feet and already has some cones on it (likely it will grow very little). but i've learned a lot. and 23 out of 25 rhizomes made it this year.

LOL... hey... don't get me wrong... I wasn't saying it in a bad way AT ALL. I'm just thinking that you're going to have a ton of hops.

And yeah, beleive it or not, I think you can actually have too much hops! My SWMBO is ready to strangle me since she can't fit anything into our freezer!

and don't worry... I think you'll have shade!

its all good baby!!!

i'm starting to hear the stories of "smwbo made me tear out my hops -- they took over the yard"... but...i'm married to the farmer's daughter, so to speak, and well, the bigger the better at this point.

and i've already come to the realization that i will need major refridgerated space next year...just for stuff i brew...let alone hops. i'm planning on building a small walk in. (out of straw bales!!!)

good yields permitting, i'm gonna have a little harvest party this year and brew a wet hop beer with hops that are just picked right of the bine.

Back