My clearest beer yet...straight outta primary!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a shout-out to Wyeast's 1968 London ESB strain. Racked to secondary last night, and tested/tasted some. Not only did it ferment down past the listed attenuation, and not only does it taste awesome, but it's CRYSTAL clear, straight out of the primary fermenter! I've never seen anything like it. I'm so used to cloudy beers, especially from primary, but damn...I know that this strain is supposed to produce crystal clear beers, but I'm very impressed at just how true that is. I never knew a yeast could clear up a beer so well...

I get the same from the Nottingham and Windsor strains!

Best.Yeast.Ever.

I just racked it to secondary, Chimone. Of course I'll have to wait and see whether chill haze is a factor, once it's bottled and carbed. But all other things being equal, at this point in the process, this is the clearest beer I've made.

Well this is good news then. I have the same strain in the fridge right now, just waiting on the grains. Hopefully Ill get the same results you did.

Chimone said:
have you chilled it yet to see if it stays clear?

Almost all my brews are clear going into secondary. Some do get a chill haze
that I'm working on trying to clear up in my mashing without resorting to using clearing agents.

S-04 dry yeast also is one clear yeast.

Latest posts

Back