My cider taste like wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simplyglass

Reaction score
I'm new to this. 2 weeks ago I used 2 gallons of unpasteurized apple cider with 4 lbs of bing cherries. I cooked cherries, mashed and stained and added to apple juice. I used 2 packs of cider yeast and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. It only took 4 days to stop bubbling than I transferred to a other jug. It's been 9 days and I took a little taste and it really taste like wine not cider.
My question is can a add a bottle or concentrate cherry juice to cut the wine taste before I bottle it?

What is the "wine taste?" Tannins from the cherries may have added a flavor similar to what red wine tastes like, from the skins. Unless you mean that it is very dry, and not at all sweet? In that case, once it's finished fermenting, you could choose to stabilize it, then add any sweetener you choose.

I crushed cherries and just used the juice but yes, it taste like red wine. It is dry. What do you mean Stabilize it? Is that before bottling and adding sweetener before bottling? I think I have alot to learn here.
Thank You

It's one of the ways to stop fermentation, or make sure that no more fermentation occurs.

Sulfites & Stabilizers

Usually it's a good idea to make sure the yeast is dead, or gone, before sweetening. Otherwise, the remaining yeast will start eating the sugars, and fermentation starts up again. If you bottle and this is happening, your bottles can burst.

To much cherries? I mashed them than used juice. Probably about a quart of cherry juice into 2 gallons of unpasteurized apple juice.

I used 2 gallons of unpasteurized apple juice and about a quart of unsweetened cherry juice than 1/2 cup brown sugar

If I were you I would throw an airlock on that batch, put it in the back of a dark closet and forget about it for about a year (but don't let the airlock dry out!).

As that year goes by, learn more and make more batches.

Latest posts

Back