My bottling bucket failed me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch, damn!
So sorry to hear that.

Nozzle?
Did the spigot break off (the plastic bucket)?
Yerp, i usually leave it turned at a 45 while i siphon (carboy up high, bottling bucket on floor), turned it back to attach my bottling wand and it shot out. Would've been funny to see, but yeah a little tramatic. Changes will be made.

When I started out, when I got to my second or third brew I had a revelation: Why not use the bottling bucket for fermenting? (I had two bottling buckets) then I could just drain the beer to the second bottling bucket to mix in the priming sugar and bottle from there. I'd save the hassle of using a siphon. Well it went OK for a few brews, then the spigot blew out and I had 5 gallons of stout on the wood floor in the closet I used for fermenting.

That suuuuucks. I’m about to bottle in a few weeks myself.

how the heck did it blow off? Don’t they screw on both sides with a nut on the beer-side?

I dunno, I bought a bunch of used brewing gear so who knows how old it was? Live and learn, these days when I bottle, I bottle from primary and use the domino dot method.

I dunno, I bought a bunch of used brewing gear so who knows how old it was? Live and learn, these days when I bottle, I bottle from primary and use the domino dot method.

ahh. I’ve been using the northern brewer ones and sofar they seem pretty solid. Def will keep an eye on em though.

Similar happened to me with the wort from an imperial stout. Lost a few litres before I got a good seal around my thumb in the spigot hole.

That was a few months ago.

Another week or two and I’ll take my digit out and bottle it.
dike.jpg

Do it for the ones you love.

All the ones I’ve seen have a screw in faucet with a retainer ring that screws on the back inside the bucket. Its a good idea to check that before each use. You can’t really get inside and tighten that down once you have beer in it to bottle. I also take mine apart when its not in use and soak the faucet in pbw to clean and star san to sanitize. Those faucets often get overlooked and can be a source of contamination.

My brew kettle is the same way, has a faucet with a retainer ring inside. That has gotten a small drip on me once during a brew that was fortunately no big deal. I just had to clean a little black stuff off the stove when I was done. I now check and tighten before each use because again, I can’t really stick my hands and tools in there to tighten anything once I have wort in the kettle.

That suuuuucks. I’m about to bottle in a few weeks myself.

how the heck did it blow off? Don’t they screw on both sides with a nut on the beer-side?
Yeah they screw on and have gaskets. Im guessing it loosened up from a quarter turn. I turn it so i can fill it while its on the ground and i have my car boy above. Guess when i turned it back it, it loosened a little off the thread with the pressure pushing out on the bucket and it just popped off. Was gonna thumb it, but figured it was all contaminated. Live and learn. The incident made me take a hiatus though lol.

When I started out, when I got to my second or third brew I had a revelation: Why not use the bottling bucket for fermenting? (I had two bottling buckets) then I could just drain the beer to the second bottling bucket to mix in the priming sugar and bottle from there. I'd save the hassle of using a siphon. Well it went OK for a few brews, then the spigot blew out and I had 5 gallons of stout on the wood floor in the closet I used for fermenting.
Yikes. I thought about doing the same and was afraid that would happen. Sorry for your loss, that's a biggin

Latest posts

Back