My BlowOff tube needs a BlowOff Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
DeathBrewer's Dunkel PM:

blowoff.jpg

blowoff2.jpg

About 18 hours after brewing.

My beers always seem to do that too :(. My blowoff catcher is in my brewpot as I speak for a 1.1 OG Stout. I'm predicting a nice mess when I come home from work today.

I just did a Hefe on Saturday... Yesterday morning, that thing was blowing up. Good I keep mine in the bathtub as well... Took the stopper and lock off for about 6 hours and let it open ferment until t settled down.

Did you use a hefe yeast for the dunkel? I used WLP300 - one vial, no starter... Crazy active yeast!

Wow, that is a good looking mess...

Would it help if the level of the liquid in your blowoff jug was lower? This may give a little more head room in your blowoff?

It was half to two thirds full when it all started.

I had the same mess with my Dunkel! Thing went off for a week... The first 72 hours was intense I thought the gas was going to blow the lid right off the bucket.. Today is a week since bottling might have to give her a try today:) good luck on your new baby!

Try putting the blow off tube bucket? up higher so that the tube has some verticalness to it.

Hmm, after 7 batches I haven't had a blow-off yet. What are you guys doing to cause this? :)

Hmm, after 7 batches I haven't had a blow-off yet. What are you guys doing to cause this? :)

I brew 5.5 gallon batches in a 6 gallon better bottle. If you brew a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy you will have 3 times the headspace that I do. If you brew in a 7+ gallon bucket, you may have even more than that.

I need a blow-off tube in over half my batches (out of 7-8 so far).

i dont get how some beers dont bubble like mad and some go for a week... im only on batch 8 but all the rest had their 3 second bubbles for a few days and this weak 1.040 cream ale needed a blow off and went crazy for 2 days and still is bubbling away every 3 secs on day 4

I see lots of people using blow off tubes,i have not tried it yet due to fear of explosions.Really,how often does this happen?My main fermenter is 7.9 gallons,will 5.5 gallon batch work with a blow off tube in a plastic bucket?I wanna get rid of the yeasty taste.

Fear of explosions is WHY we DO use a blow off tube... you will see when your airlock is packed with foam and "beer" and it runs the risk of clogging or getting VERY messy. You will want to rig a blow off tube. This is what a blow off tube is for, to avoid the explosions.

Fear of explosions is WHY we DO use a blow off tube... you will see when your airlock is packed with foam and "beer" and it runs the risk of clogging or getting VERY messy. You will want to rig a blow off tube. This is what a blow off tube is for, to avoid the explosions.

My bucket once woke me up in the middle of the night blowing bubbles through each individual hole in the airlock cap. It looked weird. The airlock was packed full and was mostly clogged. Stuff was running down the outside of the bucket. The bucket lid was dome shaped because of the pressure. If I had slept through it, my wife's clothes and pretty white closet would have been a mess!

Of course when I first woke up, I thought Bigfoot was in the closet because of the loud breathing sound. I forgot I had put my fermenting bucket in there!

My bucket once woke me up in the middle of the night blowing bubbles through each individual hole in the airlock cap. It looked weird. The airlock was packed full and was mostly clogged. Stuff was running down the outside of the bucket. The bucket lid was dome shaped because of the pressure. If I had slept through it, my wife's clothes and pretty white closet would have been a mess!

Of course when I first woke up, I thought Bigfoot was in the closet because of the loud breathing sound. I forgot I had put my fermenting bucket in there!

The only bad blow off experience I've had was with a bucket and I had a 3/8" in tube connected to the otherwise open airlock. I'm far more comfortable with a carboy and a full size blow off tube. I still use the bucket but it goes in the shower/tub until I'm sure it's ok.

Back