My bitter went away, is this preventable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nooner

Noontime Labels
Reaction score
I usually make wines and meads, but made a hopped mead to emulate an IPA. Before bottling it had a nice bitter IBU amount, very tasty. Now I'm opening bottles a few months later and the bitter is gone. Does it diminish over time? Is there a way to stabilize it so it stays bitter? Or did I just do something wrong? Thanks.

Depending on how much hops you added, it could have diminished in the few months you had it sitting. I dont have much experience in meads, but maybe through the conditioning period the flavors are over powering the hops? Did you dry hop? Add to a boil?

Curious how you would get much bitter from hops in a mead unless you boiled the water with hops then added honey. What was the process?

bitterness will always fade with time. handling procedures can affect that too.

Thanks everyone. Yes I boiled the hops in water prior to adding to honey and prior to fermentation. Before bottling the bitter was very significant like a fairly bitter IPA, nothing crazy but definitely IPA style. I racked a few times over about 6 months; the bitter may have diminished at this point, but not enough for me to notice. But now many months in bottle and there's NOTHING there. Weird. So O2 exposure can/will kill the hop bitter? I did degas before bottling, maybe that killed it. Also, it's common for the bitter to diminish over time anyway regardless of handling, everyone sees that regularly?

Just wanting to understand the total timetable.
6 months, with racking periodically
Then a few more months after bottled??

Yes, in that length of time a considerable amount of the hop flavors will be gone.
How much hops did you use?
What was the total volume of mead?

Hop bitterness will decrease with time. This is why IPAs are best served "fresh" (for lack of a better term). Cellar a bottle of a commercial IPA for 3 years and then compare it with the one for the store. You'll notice the difference. In beer, longer boil times w/ the hops may help with stability - but you're going to get more bitterness, less hop flavor/aroma. Those late addition hop adds are the first to go.

All of that said, I'm a little bit surprised that the bitterness is totally discernable to you after 6 months. I'd think it would be reduced but not totally gone.

Also, if you really want to dive deeper than I care to... How much hop bitterness dissipates with time?

Just wanting to understand the total timetable.
6 months, with racking periodically
Then a few more months after bottled??

Yes, in that length of time a considerable amount of the hop flavors will be gone.
How much hops did you use?
What was the total volume of mead?
It was a 3gallon batch. I boiled 2oz citra (13.3 alpha acid) for 20-30 minutes then it sit for 2hours, and 1oz mandarina bavaria added during fermentation. It's almost a year old at this point (started Oct 2019, bottled June 2020). I'm guessing it was O2 exposure. Obviously will need to learn more about hops before I try another one. Thanks everyone!

I think I'll boil some hops and just keep that in the fridge to add when I pop these open. Managing the bitter per glass might be fun anyway. :)

Hop bitterness will decrease with time. This is why IPAs are best served "fresh" (for lack of a better term). Cellar a bottle of a commercial IPA for 3 years and then compare it with the one for the store. You'll notice the difference. In beer, longer boil times w/ the hops may help with stability - but you're going to get more bitterness, less hop flavor/aroma. Those late addition hop adds are the first to go.

All of that said, I'm a little bit surprised that the bitterness is totally discernable to you after 6 months. I'd think it would be reduced but not totally gone.

Also, if you really want to dive deeper than I care to... How much hop bitterness dissipates with time?
Wow the link was very helpful, thank you.

Back