My beer tastes plastic/rubbery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky2284

Reaction score
i just kegged and carbed my beer, a amber ale. i took at sample to taste at 65 degrees and it had a plastic/rubbery taste. i heard it could be infected or some say that i should let it condition in the kegerator or take it out and condition at 65 degrees. what do you think is the problem? thanks

Plastic / rubbery is typically a phenol caused by either chlorinated / chloramine in your water, or perhaps a wild yeast infection. I haven't heard of these types of flavors dissipating with time, but I suppose anything is possible.

Plastic / rubbery is typically a phenol caused by either chlorinated / chloramine in your water, or perhaps a wild yeast infection. I haven't heard of these types of flavors dissipating with time, but I suppose anything is possible.

I'm thinking it's my water. I also started using a plastic cooler mash tun. I'm gonna try using spring water from the store and see if that changes it. If not, brew with out the mash tun as well and maybe it could be the plastic.

More likely the water than the mash tun. Tons (pun) of people use the plastic coolers - myself included - and have no problems with off flavors. At least, not from the coolers themselves.

The plastic and rubbery taste could also be from fermenting at too high of a temperature.

I would completely rule out the mash tun.

As for the water, have you ever looked at a water report for your area? Do you modify your brewing water in any way or just use straight tap water? If you don't mind me asking, what region do you live in?

I'm interested in this as well. I have the same problem with my stouts. It's not overpowering, but it is there. I don't have a problem with my lighter beers, so I have a feeling mine has to do with my water chemistry. I buy relatively soft spring water from the grocery store, so my guess is the darker grains is messing with the PH, I haven't verified that though.

Do you notice that flavor in any of your other beers?

The plastic and rubbery taste could also be from fermenting at too high of a temperature.

I would completely rule out the mash tun.

As for the water, have you ever looked at a water report for your area? Do you modify your brewing water in any way or just use straight tap water? If you don't mind me asking, what region do you live in?

I live in south east Los Angeles county. My fermentation temps are always between 64-67 degrees. I did this one batch with tap thinking my water wasn't too bad, but then this happened. I have an IPA fermenting that I did with spring water I bought at the store. So we will see how that turns out.

If the spring water works better, then chlorine/chloramine is a likely culprit. Consensus seems to be that even a little of this stuff can give you mad nasty burnt tire / bandaid / iodine flavors.

Luckily, the solution is cheap and simple -- get thee to yonder LHBS and procure a sack of Campden tablets. Smash up one of those suckers (actually just a quarter to a half of one for 5 gallons, I believe) and mix it into your tap water before using. I think I've heard that mixing it in and leaving it overnight is best practice, but I've gotten good results AFAICT by stirring it in while warming to mash temp.

Back