My Bayou Classic SQ14 Windscreen Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nagorg

If a frog had wings...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I hemmed and hawed on which Bayou Classic to buy; the SQ14 or the SP10. For me, a struggle point was the wind screen or lack thereof. Lots of folks said it was easy to add a windscreen but I'm not always so handy.
But, it's rreeaall easy so I had to post in case someone else out there is wondering about this now.

(The following has been added from my last post in this thread)
I found what is called a "Starting Collar" in the roof venting section of Home Depot. This specific one was 8" and seemed the perfect size in both diameter and height. I think it's a Master Flow SCF8. It has a bunch of tabs which I bent to help get into position. I then used the same tabs to attach it to the bar that the burner is also attached to. I had to drill two holes for attaching this collar and that was the hardest part. Some #8x1/2 sheet metal screws are holding this on perfectly.
A pair of tin snips made quick work of the notching required to go over the burner neck.

More detail on how I attached the SCF8:
Basically, I used a couple of the tabs for attaching the SCF8 to the rails that hold the burner. I think I drilled 1/8" holes if I remember right. The screws were sheet metal so they are pretty forgiving. You will want to drill a hole that is appropriate for the screw size you get no matter what. I uploaded two new pics to further illustrate the attachment.

SCF8 at HomeDepot

WP_000370.jpg

WP_000371.jpg

WP_000372.jpg

AttachmentViewZoomOut.jpg

AttachmentViewZoomIn.jpg

I think I have found my next project! Thank you very much for the simple fix.

what kind of metal is it made of?

I really need something like this since its always windy in my backyard.

Is it galvanized? What’s the thickness? Looks like roof flashing for a duct fan…? Have you cooked w/it yet? Looks like melting might be a problem…???

Is it galvanized? What’s the thickness? Looks like roof flashing for a duct fan…? Have you cooked w/it yet? Looks like melting might be a problem…???

Nice idea OP.

I imagine metal duct piping designed for wood stoves or prefab fireplaces would be ideal for this application. My neighbor (who saves bottles for me and has drank lots of my beer) is a certified chimney sweep. May have to hit him up for some scrap chimney pipe.

While I was up north today at the cabin I saw some metal tubing just like that and grabbed it. Ill see how well it holds up after a couple of brews.

I have the same issue with my burner send me A PM I want to make what you did! ( new place shouldn't have wind issue but I want plans anyway!
doing this ASAP!

Thanks for the feedback. I have used it once so far and it worked like a champ. No problems at all brewing outside.

I found what is called a "Starting Collar" in the roof venting section of Home Depot. This specific one was 8" and seemed the perfect size in both diameter and height. I think it's a Master Flow SCF8. It has a bunch of tabs which I bent to help get into position. I then used the same tabs to attach it to the bar that the burner is also attached to. I had to drill two holes for attaching this collar and that was the hardest part. Some #8x1/2 sheet metal screws are holding this on perfectly.
A pair of tin snips made quick work of the notching required to go over the burner neck.

SCF8 at HomeDepot

It is galvanized steel but I don't really think that's of any concern. It hasn't even discolored from my last brew day. If I am not mistaken, you need to be careful welding on galvanized steel because the vapor is harmful. I'm getting nowhere near welding temps during my boil.

I just added my Nagorg windscreen to my SQ 14 tonight and fired her up. Well done, Nagorg!

My first all-grain batch will be brewed tomorrow!

121412_21021.jpg

I hemmed and hawed on which Bayou Classic to buy; the SQ14 or the SP10. For me, a struggle point was the wind screen or lack thereof. Lots of folks said it was easy to add a windscreen but I'm not always so handy.
But, it's rreeaall easy so I had to post in case someone else out there is wondering about this now.

(The following has been added from my last post in this thread)

More detail on how I attached the SCF8:
Basically, I used a couple of the tabs for attaching the SCF8 to the rails that hold the burner. I think I drilled 1/8" holes if I remember right. The screws were sheet metal so they are pretty forgiving. You will want to drill a hole that is appropriate for the screw size you get no matter what. I uploaded two new pics to further illustrate the attachment.

SCF8 at HomeDepot

Look how nice and new that burner looks...Mine looks a hundred years old.
Nice wind screen. I think I'll make one today. I usually just wrap some sheet metal around the whole burner, but that's cool too...

Did the same thing except used the 10 inch collar instead. Also, if you don't want to have to drill you can set it in the tab side up and have them interlock with the pot supports.

Have used mine on several brews with great success and no problems with the heat melting or warping anything.

If you use the 6" version, it is tight enough you don't even need to screw it down. This is mine I did a while ago with the 6".
IMAG0346_zpsbfebf65c.jpg

IMAG0347_zpsa09187aa.jpg

Have any of you had any issues with the quality of the manifold or the fact it is held on with one bolt? I'm just looking for reassurance that I bought a good burner. Got it yesterday and the manifold looks cheap.

Are you talking about the burner and how it's attached to the frame by one bolt? If so then no, I haven't had any issues at all with that. I'd say you got a good burner if it's a Bayou Classic SQ 14.

For those using the starting collar or anyone thinking about using the starting collar I'd advise against it.

It's made of galvanized steel and cooking on that releases toxic chemicals. You may not notice it to much but it can cause health problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

MikeInMKE brought this to my attention and I'm glad he did!

Thanks for info ill be taking mine off for next batch. Switch to alum ill bend a sheet to fit. As shield.

I just did a burn off, much like the one you should do to get rid of the toxic black paint on the burner stand. You can see in my pics the amount of surface rust on my surround. If the galvanized coating were still there, there would be no rust.
I once welded on a piece of galv.metal by mistake, and know what it does to you. Not fun.
I don't see a problem if you do a heavy burn with a pot full of water to disperse the heat horizontally. My ring will glow red if I really get it going. I am not worried, And I certainly don't feel the fume effects drinking my beer.

For those using the starting collar or anyone thinking about using the starting collar I'd advise against it.

It's made of galvanized steel and cooking on that releases toxic chemicals. You may not notice it to much but it can cause health problems.

just fire it hot the first time, exactly like the paint burn-off run, then don't worry about it.

I just woke from a fever and noticed these thread updates.... :p

In all seriousness, I really don't think you have much if anything to worry about related to fumes in this application. I've used mine many times now with no ill effect. I actually did reference the potential for harmful vapor/fumes from galvanized steel in an earlier post. But, to each his own and I certainly don't slight anyone for being concerned about health issues. Mine works great so I thought I'd share the idea.

If your outside your not really breathing many fumes in anyway. I'm never standing over my pot for long when it's boiling anyway. I just check it when it's time to add hop additions. Then I'm off to do something else.

If all I need to do is a really high temp burn off then I still might do that. The idea of having a windshield is high and if you burn most to all of the harmful stuff off the first few times anyway then meh.

I do however stand over top of my brew more often than not. Usually followed by an outburst of boil d@mn you, boil!!!

Based on another post, I picked up this stainless steel adjustable cake ring from Amazon to use as wind shield:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039A0LYI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I then cut a notch out of it so that it would fit over the burner and the fit is almost perfect. The height of the ring is about 1/2 inch shorter than the gap under the burner. I cut mine so that it would be flush with the bottom of the stand, so I needed to add some sort of spacer underneath the cake pan so that it sits flush with the bottom of the burner stand. I haven't fired it up yet but I have no reason to believe that it won't work.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392430209.020057.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392430224.528312.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392430239.345992.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured out a solution for filling the 1/2 inch gap between my cake ring and the bottom of the frame. If I stack a bunch of washers together they fit in the gap perfectly and prop the cake ring flush up against the top of the frame. I'm going to super glue the washers together and then use a rare earth magnet on the other side of the frame to hold the "spacer" in place. Two of these on either side should keep the cake ring nice and stable.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392554723.822309.jpg

Did you read the original post in this thread? It wasn't a cake ring...

I believe Rexler is referring to my post in the thread (#30). I used a stainless steel cake ring to create a wind screen for my burner.

I've been using it for 6 months now and can say that it works perfectly. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know this is an old thread but why not just use stove pipe made for wood heaters. It would be easy to manipulate and cut and they make connectors that would be a similar size to the one at the beginning of this thread.

I know this is an old thread but why not just use stove pipe made for wood heaters. It would be easy to manipulate and cut and they make connectors that would be a similar size to the one at the beginning of this thread.

There are several solutions for adding a windscreen to an SQ14. I started this thread to show what I did for mine and report that it's an easy thing to do. I've had no issues with mine either despite others concern for the galvanized metal.

So, use what works for you and feel free to post your own solution in this thread. That gives others that find their way here several choices for how they want to solve the problem.

I believe Rexler is referring to my post in the thread (#30). I used a stainless steel cake ring to create a wind screen for my burner.

I've been using it for 6 months now and can say that it works perfectly. I haven't had any problems with it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
just wanted to see if you were still using this setup and happy with it. i found another stainless steel cake ring on amazon that was 1/2 inch taller than the one that you used and needed to mod. wonder if it will be flush so no adjustments(washers) would be necessary. will post an update.

here is the cake ring i bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DNUZHU6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a timely post resurrection! I just went to Lowes to figure out a windscreen solution for my banjo burner. I just happened to come across this, and it fits perfectly! Genius minds think alike!

Attachments

• windscreen photo.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Back