My Basement Smells Like Rasberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JorgeIsKing

Reaction score
Wow, what a weekend. Just bottled my Cream Ale and brewed my Irish Red.

In the air lock I used some old Rasberry Vodka that some girl left over here one night and the bubbling is making my basement smell like rasberries. Smells pretty good, I just wish I could smell my beer better.

Anyone else use anything interesting as sanitizer in the air lock in a pinch?

JorgeIsKing said:
Anyone else use anything interesting as sanitizer in the air lock in a pinch?
I ran out of my usual cheap vodka, so I've got everclear in there now. I keep plenty of that around, for limoncello production.

One drop of bleach, or less. A drop in a cup of water, then partially fill the airlock. Don't fill the airlock until the wort has cooled to room temperature, or the airlock liquid will get sucked into the fermentor. Leave a sanitized and very damp rag over the opening until the temperature equalizes.

I use Metabisulphite (better known as Campden tablets). Mainly because it's what my LHBS recommended and what came with my starter kit and it's the only thing I use it for.

I have whiskey in my airlocks right now. Why? Out of vodka, and not out of whiskey.

When I started my apfelwein a couple of weeks ago, it foamed up into the airlock a bit. The airlock contents (Ancient Age plus Apfelwein foam) were remarkably tasty over rocks.

Im currently using gin, because I will never drink it and I was out of vodka.

Back