My Attempt at Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
After reading the BYO article about Gose and having a new love affair with Gose, I decided to give it a go. Was wondering if I could alter the process to work the same way I did my last Berliner Weisse. Let me know what you guys think and if it would get the correct flavor profile.

Ingredients:
5 lbs. (2.3 kg) wheat malt
3.25 lbs. (1.5 kg) German Pilsner malt (2 °L)
3.0 Hallertauer hops (60 min.)
1 tsp Irish moss or 1 Whirlfloc® tablet (15 min.)
1.0 oz (28 g) ground coriander seed (10 min.)
0.75 oz (21 g) sea salt (10 min.)
White Labs WLP029 (German Ale/Kölsch Yeast) or Wyeast 1007 (German Ale) yeast

For the Lacto, I am going to use 2 jars of a lacto starter made 5 days prior. A mixture of 1 cup crushed grains and one cup 100 degree water. My BW got great results with this.

Brew as normal, but only cool the wort down to about 100 degrees. Pitch the homemade lacto and wait 2 days before pitching the ale yeast.

I'm going to assume that a Gose has almost the same sourness as a BW, but is more balanced and not as tart due to the higher hops and the addition or coriander and salt.

What do you all think?

I have tried 2 methods that are very similar to yours for my Gose.

Same Method as yours- Using a Sour Starter
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/2011/04/quick-sour-beer-spring-gose-with.html

Sour Wort then Boil method
http://jeffreycrane.blogspot.com/2010/11/quick-sour-beers-classic-gose.html

To be honest I haven't had the best results. I have been able to get the right tartness level using both of these methods. The only problem is that the flavor is a bit muddled and I think this is from the other microbes on the grain. I really want that sharp clear citrus tang from the lacto so my next batches I am going to try 2 more methods. I know others have had good results with your method, but not me.

1- Using a pure lacto strain
2- Using high percentage Sour Malt (added during sparge)

As far as I know these beers are very closely related to Berliner Weiss but have the traditional addition of salt and coriander. Here are two good resources about the style's history
http://appellationbeer.com/blog/first-of-all-its-pronounced-goes-a/
http://patto1ro.home.xs4all.nl/leippubs.htm

I would back down on the hops, Lacto is very sensitive and you may have trouble getting activity with IBUs that high (although that will depend on what strains of Lacto you catch).

I might back down on the corriander, you can always add more if needed later. Salt looks about right, we did .5 oz and it was a bit too low (again you can add more at bottling if needed).

I would back down on the hops, Lacto is very sensitive and you may have trouble getting activity with IBUs that high (although that will depend on what strains of Lacto you catch).

I might back down on the corriander, you can always add more if needed later. Salt looks about right, we did .5 oz and it was a bit too low (again you can add more at bottling if needed).

You're probably right with the IBU's.

I read your blog, very nice. How did your Gose turn out compared to the style profile?

You're probably right with the IBU's.

I read your blog, very nice. How did your Gose turn out compared to the style profile?

It was actually too close, I wanted more sourness. The only German version I’ve had only has a hint of tartness, I was hoping for a more aggressive lactic tang. I thought it needed a bit more salt, so I added a small amount to the bottle I sent in to the NHC, sadly the judges thought I over did it (still gave me ~32 IIRC).

It was actually too close, I wanted more sourness. The only German version I’ve had only has a hint of tartness, I was hoping for a more aggressive lactic tang. I thought it needed a bit more salt, so I added a small amount to the bottle I sent in to the NHC, sadly the judges thought I over did it (still gave me ~32 IIRC).

Interesting. Well, I might just take your recipe, but substitute my own homemade lacto starters instead of a pure culture. My BW using this method received great sourness in about 3 weeks, so it should give the Gose a good deal of sourness. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

Just cracked a bottle of this open yesterday. Still needs about another week on carbonation, but this is without a doubt my best beer to date. Exactly what it was supposed to be. I'll post the recipe tonight when I get home. Everyone who likes sours or Belgian wheats needs to try this beer.

I'll post the recipe tonight when I get home. Everyone who likes sours or Belgian wheats needs to try this beer.

@Morkin, please post the recipe when you have time...

I`m going to try your homemade lacto starter for a BW. I`m brewing 10 gals and will use the home starter for 5gal and White Labs Lacto for the other 5gal.

Do you make a wort starter or just warm water? Your posts state water but just want to confirm.

Thanks for any help.

@Morkin, please post the recipe when you have time...

I`m going to try your homemade lacto starter for a BW. I`m brewing 10 gals and will use the home starter for 5gal and White Labs Lacto for the other 5gal.

Do you make a wort starter or just warm water? Your posts state water but just want to confirm.

Thanks for any help.

Just posted. Check my recipes. Thanks for your interest.

Also, yes, I just use a cup or warm water to a cup of crushed grain. I've had good results with this, and the lacto on the grains will simply eat the sugars in the grains themselves. I suppose you could do this with a cup of crushed grains and extract as well.

Back