My Apfelwein story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveNay

Reaction score
So...you know that axiom that beer making is a perfect hobby for lazy people? Well, I think I embody the very meaning of that concept.

In the early summer of 2010, I decided to make my first batch of Apfelwein. Being the lazy person I am, it actually sat in the fermenter for about six months. When I finally got around to attempting to bottle it, I only got to the point of transfering it out of the fermenter and into a 5 gal bucket to let it settle for a couple days.

More than a year later, it's still sitting in that 5 gallon bucket in the basement. It's been covered all this time to keep the dust and bugs out, but in no way can it be considered air tight. There are no floaters or other mysterious object in the Apfelwein so I am pretty sure the ABV was/is high enough to prevent any kind of contamination.

I think I will try a nice cold glass of it this evening....

Personally I would bottle it, stove pasteurize, then try a little. The pasteurization would kill any baddies in it, and possibly denature any toxins.

Well, I changed my mind. When I opened it up yesterday, it looks like a dirty fish tank. It has a very strong alcohol odor, but it is slightly "off" in the odor. It almost smells like a strong port wine and is a very dark amber-gold color.

Enabling necromancer mode.....

I haven't touched this apfelwein since I posted this thread! :cross:

For the last two years (3 1/2 years since starting a batch) the five gallon bucket of apfelwein has been sitting in my basement. It hasn't been air tight, but it has been dust tight. This afternoon I hauled it out of the basement and into the sunlight (I think I heard it groan and cover it's eyes a little).

I'm not sure if this is an interesting experiment or a scary experement

1453800_10202590107543569_482369796_o.jpg

1462454_10202590116623796_1861394954_o.jpg

How much vinegar do you smell? Tasting it isnt going to hurt you. With your record of progress you better get out there quick before it freezes solid and you have to wait till spring to taste it:) WVMJ

How much vinegar do you smell? Tasting it isnt going to hurt you. With your record of progress you better get out there quick before it freezes solid and you have to wait till spring to taste it:) WVMJ

Both the wife and me do not think it smells like vinegar at all. It does have a fairly strong odor which I would describe as similar to a port wine or a sherry. It is also a smell where it seems to stick in your nostrils for a few minutes after smelling it.

I am going to try to filter the mason jar worth this morning and then taste it.

I see snow on the ground. cold crash it there for a couple days (if you haven't already) that always works for my beer.

Too cold to crash it outside. (14F last night).

I filtered about 2/3 of a quart through a coffee filter and now it is in the refrigerator to crash there for a while.

It's a shame it tasted like crap after all that time. I suppose it's a lesson learned under the belt? At least it wasn't expensive to put together!

Kdog22 said:
It's a shame it tasted like crap after all that time. I suppose it's a lesson learned under the belt? At least it wasn't expensive to put together!

Have you dumped it yet? If not try mixing in dry milk powder. Let it settle back down and rack off. The applewine has oxidized for sure. The milk powder reduces the off flavors. I don't remember how much milk per galleon, maybe a Tab?
For vinigery taste but not flavor lots of backsweetening helps. Bump it up to 1.010. Use apple juice concentrate. Flavor bost it at the same time. Adding tannin smoth it out a little too.

mix it with equal parts ketchup and water, add some brown sugar and red pepper flakes and you got yourself an east Carolina BBQ sauce

very tasty on pulled pork

Back