My ApeTit APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFoster

Reaction score
Target Style American Pale Ale
Volume 10 gallons
Efficiency 70%

Recipe Statistics (Cat/StyleRange/Est)
Pre-Boil 1.045
OG 1.055
FG 1.008-1.011
IBU 47
SRM 8.5
ABV 5.60%

Ingredient Name Amount %
2-Row Base 10 lbs 42.0%
Pale Ale 9 lbs 37.8%
Honey Malt 12 oz 3.2%
Munich (Light) 2 lbs 8.4%
Malted Wheat 1 lb 4.2%
Crystal 40L 12 oz 3.2%
Crystal 80L 5 oz 1.3%

Cascade, Pellets 6.3%AA 3.7 oz @ 60 mins
Cascade, Pellets 6.3%AA 2.3 oz @ 10 mins
Cascade, Pellets 6.3%AA 1.5 oz @ flameout (end of boil)

Safale US-05, washed yeast

Any thoughts here? I made a similar brew a few months ago that ended up pretty stellar. I have high hopes here...

Personally I have had poor results with using two kinds of "standard" crystal malts in a session beer. It just took longer for the beer to hit its peak and I didn't get any added complexity out of it. I'd just go with some 60L instead. Just my two cents.

Personally I have had poor results with using two kinds of "standard" crystal malts in a session beer. It just took longer for the beer to hit its peak and I didn't get any added complexity out of it. I'd just go with some 60L instead. Just my two cents.

I may try that. My last APA, I used some 40L and some 80L and it turned out excellent. I think that was the only reason I was going to try it in this one, but I'm not opposed to trying a 60L rather than the two crystals. Thanks for the reply.

Back